December AWAKE entitled: The Truth About Christmas

by AwSnap 60 Replies latest jw friends

• AwSnap
    AwSnap

Yeah, but couldnt a jw say that they received New Light? Its go over their heads, IMHO

• just a reader
    just a reader

When I looked at the pictures in the article about Christmas of all the people partying, drinking and eating, they seemed no different from all the facebook pictures I've observed of young witnesses doing the same, minus the tree and decorations.

• ESTEE
    ESTEE

AwSnap, you wrote about your father:

His priveleges were removed when I lived at home. I havent lived at home for 13 years, so he was able to become an elder a few years ago. I've always been VERY careful not to get caught when celebrating holidays. I hate causing a stir....hate causing conflict.

My feeling is that you carry much guilt because of your father's displeasure. Please know that you are not responsible for your father's reactions. After all, he is cult-conditioned. Every child has a right to grow up and follow his or her own path. Every child has a right to be true to himself/herself. Time to cut the cord, dear one. You are an adult living on your own now. You get to exercise
    your free will, a most wonderful --- precious --- sacred gift for yourself!

I'm glad to hear you celebrated Christmas!

Cheers,

ESTEE

• AwSnap
  • AwSnap
    AwSnap

Thanks Estee. I know that I am allowed to be myself and do what I want. Its been a long road to healing. I really had no guilt about my tree this year, though I felt a little anxious at seeing my father walk through the door. I just told myself exactly what you've said. When he dropped off his note and the magazine & printout, it kinda put a glitch in my content life. It brought up a lot of emotions because I've finally learned to surround myself with people who encourage me and accept me for who I am. Its been a Lonnnnng time since I've felt these childish feelings with my father....this type of behavior from him was a daily routine when I was growing up. Ive spent over a decade healing from that, and then he came in and made that glitch in my life. Grrrrrrr

Yesterday, I mailed him a copy of the 1984 magazine with all the old people entitled 1914, The Generation that Will not Pass Away.

I also mailed a copy of the awake entitled "Is It wrong to Change your religion?" next to those words, I wrote: "...only if you do not want to be a JW because you've found too many discrepancies in their foundation and realize they do not base many of their beliefs on the Bible"

(If you want to see the article, go to -----> http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/bible/174959/1/No-One-Should-Be-Made-to-Choosee280a6-LIES-from-July-09-Awake )

Here's the thing: Im pregnant with my first child. I concluded by writing "I am upset that you chose to come into my life and proceed to tell me what is wrong with me. I want you to be a part of my child's life, so I feel it would be inappropriate for me to continue to send you literature that shows why I do not agree with YOUR lifestyle. Please have the same respect."

He's an elder. He could certainly turn in the stuff I sent to him as apostate proof. And thats fine if he did that (not really, but at least I'm not fearful or scared of it). We'll see what happens.

• Yolena Bristow
    Yolena Bristow

Firstly, you say you openly celebrate Christmas, but Don't seem to want Witnesses *who know you* to know you're celebrating it. That's being 'closeted' not open. If you TRULY feel it's right to celebrate Christmas, be open/honest.

As for what was done, it would seem to be in poor taste, but likely all you'll accomplish by doing something rude/rash, is making yourself look bad *which can be especially problematic if this is a neighbor* and likely encouraging a reply.

If anything, you could simply send a short card, asking to NOT be disturbed again.

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa
    Firstly, you say you openly celebrate Christmas, but Don't seem to want Witnesses *who know you* to know you're celebrating it. That's being 'closeted' not open. If you TRULY feel it's right to celebrate Christmas, be open/honest.

Actually, it is the poster's option to keep their private life private from anyone they wish to keep it private from.

Second, maybe this person wanted to keep things private so that they don't get shunned by their entire family for the rest of their lives. This person is not a JW anymore. They should not be punished by a religous group they don't belong to.

The JWs think they have a right to know anyone who was ever a JW's business and that they (the JWs) have a right to punish them forever.

They DON'T have that right. And exJWs do have a right to protect themselves from their abuse.

(ETA: sorry. I'm feeling...strongly...about this stuff right now.)

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

A lump of coal delivered by Santa would be the perfect return gift.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Why would a newbie bring up an old thread like this???

• Chemical Emotions
    Chemical Emotions

lisaBObeesa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit