Jesus name vs Jehovah's name

by lostsheep82 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• lostsheep82
    lostsheep82

I have wondered lately, why there is soooo much controvery in the 'pronunciation' or spelling of God's name Jehovah. to my knowledge, i haven't heard of any 'question' on Jesus Christs name, meaning or spelling. Why if he's the Almighty God, is there a question to HIS name meaning and spelling, and not his son's?

i hope I'm describing my question properly, please no stupid comments except for OUTLAW lol.

I really wondered about this. not just within the religion but period, there has always been question about God's name, but not his son to my knowledge...

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

It is simply because the original spelling of the Hebrew word YHWH did not contain any vowels and so there is no definitive way to pronounce it other then by word of mouth.

Conversely, "Jesus" is a Puerto Rican name (pronounced hay ZEUS) which does contain vowels based on the original Latin text so we know how to pronounce it.

Hope this helps.

Rub a Dub

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I think that there would probaby be LESS issues with using the term Jehovah if it wasn't the insistence of the JW's that it is the ONLY name of God.

In Hebrew it was , probably, Yahweh, which in greek would have ended up as Iahweh, wich would have ended up as Jahweh or Jehweh.

The main point is that we do NOT know so to claim ANY one verision as THE correct one is wrong.

• lostsheep82
    lostsheep82

thanks rubadub:)

• OBVES
    OBVES

These are the best names linked to God of the Bible and Jesus Christ.

YHWH pronounced as 4 letters give : YaHWeH,YaHWaH,YeHoWaH.

This is a principle the Hebrew language was based on pronouncing words that had only consonants.

The Polish language -my native language- could be the same case if need be.

I am giving you an example:

Wtorek,tablica,ratunek.

Wtorek - wtrk , tablica-tblc, ratunek-rtnk I picked consonants from full blown words by uttering these consonants only I can recrerate the full blown words .

wtrk when pronounced only give a sound wtorek !

The same principle applies to YHWH .

• designs
    designs

If you yelled out the name 'Jesus' in Jerusalem AD30 nobody would have turned around............ not even this itinerant rabbi

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

Personaly, I prefer to call on the name of JAHESHUA MISCHAJAH. Much more original.

Peace to you all.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

So, let me get this right:

God is OK to use Jewish name

and Jesus is good to use commoner name, not jewish name?

• Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan

OBVES says :"...wtrk when pronounced only give a sound wtorek !"

Nope, wtrk sounds like wUtIOUrEAUk. Prove me wrong!

• wobble
    wobble

JW's make much of their use of "the divine name", not that they are unique in their using it.

What they do is show a signal ignorance of what names meant when the tetragrammaton was stressed in Exodus. God was not revealing here his "personal" name, but showing what kind of God He was to be to Israel.

That He could be whatever He needed to be, God of Armies or Wonderful Counsellor and Prince of Peace, whatever .

To insist that a weird 14th century pronunciation, as invented by a catholic monk who did not understand where the vowels he was using came from, is pleasing to God and distinguishes His people is the acme of delusion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit