russel and the pyramids

by serein 10 Replies latest jw friends

• serein
    serein

now tell me u lot is it true that russel used the mesurments of the pyramids to get his dates for 1914, cos i told my son and he went over to his grandmas house and told her, shes a jw,

she showed him the latest dvd on the jws and stuff i dont know which one as i havnt been in a wile,

anyways she was showing him it and it showed russel at the piramids and my son said see hes at them now on there, she said its not what ur mom thinmgs he was just traveling around,

go tell her not to keep looking on web sites cos they all wrong,thats what she told him to tell me.

and telling me to look in daniel but he couldnt rem the scripture saying it says there about dates of time of end or somthing. can any one help me on this one as im just learning the real truths about the jws beginings.

• leavingwt
  • leavingwt
  • Albert Einstein
    Albert Einstein

Great quotes LWT!

Its opening eyes ...

Albert

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

Thy Kingdom Come book also known as Study In The Scriptures vol.III has a huge section on the pyramid of Giza that Russell taught was God's witness in stone. At that time 1914 was taught it would be the end of the world, and end of gentile times. Russell used several different arguement to come up with 1914 while at the time 1914 had totally different meaning than it does today for wts followers.

You can find the book and many others here

http://www.archive.org/details/WatchTowerBibleandTractSocietyofPennsylvaniaWatchTowerpubs_0

Get your son to show her that book and see how quickly she dismisses it as old light or something else.

• TD
    TD
    now tell me u lot is it true that russel used the mesurments of the pyramids to get his dates for 1914, cos i told my son and he went over to his grandmas house and told her, shes a jw,

Russell is not the man who came up with the 1914 date. The man who calculated that date was named Nelson Barbour.

Russell first came into contact with Barbour's writings around January of 1876. He was intrigued by the dates and contacted Barbour.

Barbour convinced Russell and the two men entered a brief partnership.

Russell eventually added other "Proofs" which he thought corroborated those dates and one of those lines evidence were the pyramid measurements.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

This video on Youtube mostly explains Russel's fictitious belief in Pyramidology.

He got so many other stirred up in this irrational nonsense that some of his devoted followers actually built a stone pyramid

by his grave stone. There is much information about the history of the WTS/JWS on You tube, for the most part is accurate

but be aware that some of those videos were put up by people who were never invoked with the organization to any extent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZfZzumMt18

• garyneal
    garyneal

I found pyramidology discussed in the Proclaimers book. My wife has been reading it to get an idea of their history. It does not say much about it but it does confirm that pyramidology was used.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

For some 35 years, Pastor Russell thought that the Great Pyramid of Gizeh was God’s stone witness, corroborating Biblical time periods. (Isa. 19:19) But Jehovah’s Witnesses have abandoned the idea that an Egyptian pyramid has anything to do with true worship. (See “Watchtower” issues of November 15 and December 1, 1928)

Proclaimers page 200. Tell her to look it up and read it to you.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

These theories gained worldwide influence when they were integrated into the works of Charles Taze Russell , a world famous Protestant minister from Pittsburgh Pennsylvania, who founded the Bible Student movement in the late 1870s. Russell adopted the phrase coined by Joseph Seiss that the pyramid was like "the Bible in stone", and he continued to teach this view right up until his death in October 1916. Russell believed that the Great Pyramid of Giza in Egypt was a special part of God's Divine Plan of the Ages basing his interpretation on a passage of scripture from Isaiah 19:19-20 which says - "In that day shall there be an altar (pile of stones) to the L ORD in the midst of the land of Egypt, and a pillar (Hebrew "matstebah" or monument) at the border thereof to the Lord. And it shall be for a sign, and for a witness unto the L ORD of Hosts in the land of Egypt." [8] However, Russell's successor, Joseph F. Rutherford condemned pyramidology in 1928 as not only unscriptural, but inspired by the Devil . [9] When a widespread schism developed in the movement throughout the 1920s one side formed the Jehovah's Witnesses [citation needed] whose followers to this day are both non-supportive and even unfamiliar with Russell's views on pyramidology. The other side known as the Bible Students movement continue to study Russell's writings to this day that include his views of pyramidology as it allegedly relates to the Bible and the history of the world. [citation needed]

Two brothers John and Morton Edgar, scientists, Bible Students, and personal associates of Charles Taze Russell, wrote extensive treatises on the history, nature, and prophetic symbolism of the Great Pyramid in relation to the then known archaeological history, along with their interpretations of prophetic and Biblical chronology. They are best known for their extensive and highly detailed two volume work entitled Great Pyramid Passages and Chambers, originally published in 1910 and 1913 and greatly expanded in 1923. [10]

David Davidson wrote on pyramidology in books such as The Great Pyramid, Its Divine Message, and predicted various times for the end of the world based on measurements of the pyramid, the earliest date being 1954.

In 1957 Adam Rutherford from Scotland (no relation to Joseph F. Rutherford [citation needed] ), an adherent of Charles Taze Russell's theological views as promulgated through the Bible Students of the time, wrote Outline of Pyramidology. This was updated in 1961 and 1962 and renamed as Pyramidology Books 1 & 2 followed by Pyramidology Book 3 in 1966. [11] In these books Rutherford acknowledges his debt to Professor C. Piazzi Smyth, a fellow Scot for the diagrams used in his books. Rutherford incorporated terminology and scriptural references that had been previously taught by Charles Taze Russell.

In 1964 Barbara Mertz, reflecting the views of the scientific establishment, reported another term for pyramidologists:

Even in modern times when people, one would think, should know better, the Great Pyramid of Giza has proved a fertile field for fantasy. The people who do not know better are the Pyramid mystics, who believe that the Great Pyramid is a gigantic prophecy in stone, built by a group of ancient adepts in magic. Egyptologists sometimes uncharitably refer to this group as 'Pyramidiots,' but the school continues to flourish despite scholarly anathemas. [12]

The term pyramidiot is said to have been coined by Leonard Cottrell, whose 1956 book The Mountains of Pharaoh included a chapter entitled "The Great Pyramidiot" about Piazzi Smyth's theories. [13]

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit