They keep pushing and pushing for the rank and file to do more and more. Dec 15 WT

by life is to short 56 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• RosePetal
    RosePetal

dozy it's like you were visiting the kingdom halls we attended in England LOL

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

JAM...I hear what you are saying. I remember getting chewed out back in the late 70's, by householedrs or having them exclaim " Hey someone else from your church was here just a few days ago ! ". One time I knocked on the door of a house and when the lady answered it, I could see straight through to the back door which was open and a pair of Witnesses were standing on her back porch. I live a few miles from the local hall and I haven't seen one person in the door to door work here in the last 3 years. I think the majority of Witnesses now are "Born in's " and they don't have the sense of urgency that the WT Society wants them to have. They've heard it all too many times before.

Lukewarm. Good job on finding those old articles. It's funny that they aren't able to check thier own literature the way you did, to verify that they aren't contradicting themselves.

Having to spread the "urgent message" from door to door when Television and the Internet could get it done more efficiently is like rushing to the Emergency Room on a pair of roller skates while a perfectly good car sits in your driveway.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

WASBLIND,

Thank you for making the point about how the hall was empty on Thanksgiving night and Christmas week.

It was this very thing that made me start to seriously question my continuing in this so-called religion. Even though I had a whole list of things against the religion, it was this fact that I was so totally isolated during holiday season that made me think.

As a single woman keeping my so-called 'integrity' I really made a point to steer clear of the holidays, even avoiding family. How stupid of me! I now have come to see that my family are the only people who really care about me and I would never miss an opportunity to get together with them. This religion tried to substitute a 'counterfeit' family - who wasn't even THERE for me. What a sad joke and the joke was on me. So, here I am, spending the holidays by myself, staring at four walls like an idiot (as if Jehovah can only be pleased if I am alone and staring at four walls). Of course, none of the so-called 'friends' were around. I was made to feel like some nut in the hills fighting a private war. After the 1995 generation teaching change, I made sure I started sending out Christmas cards to relatives and acquaintances. I made sure I accepted invitations to Thanksgiving or Christmas gatherings. I started to slowly but surely mend the fences I had broken when I joined this vacuum of a religion.

Then in 2000 I started my 'fade'.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

From my observation, the more they talk like this, the less the R&F listen. Speakers can rant and rave throughout the assembly, but at the end of the day, the dubs are asking each other "Where ya goin' for dinner?"

All their superlatives of the urgency are wasted like a "wait, but that's not all" crappy advertisement.

My favorite illustration, "God gave us two ears and one mouth for a reason. You speak with your one mouth. It goes in my one ear. It goes out my other ear."

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

They are causing mental problems by pushing and pushing the ones in to do more and more and more. ..."

Ooooo - kay, Justitia...

Let's try this instead...

The unnecessary pressures upon average Jehovah's Witnesses exacerbates existing mental health issues in those subject to such problems, and generates high levels of stress in others, that can cause emotional distress.

Long-term mental and/or emotional distress can create a chronic state that will lead to further emotional dysfunctionality and mental instability...

S' - OK now, Justitia???

Zid

I'm not sure what is supposed to be OK. ??? If you are asking if I agree with your statement, I do not. JWs are not "causing" mental illness. I do not believe that there are JWs who are emotionally healthy and then become emotionally unhealthy as a result of JW doctrine and/or pressure. I believe the fact that they stay in a pressure situation that may lead to such a level of stress is prima facie evidence that they had an emotional issue to begin with. Therefore, the pressure didn't cause the illness; the illness led them to tolerate the pressure. You are welcome to disagree with me; that is certainly "OK."

I agree that it can exacerbate a pre-existing emotional illness; I explicity commented on that in my prior post.

My comment was fairly benign. You might want to examine why you reacted to it so strongly.

• JoJoJones
    JoJoJones

The article mentions that people making sacrifices and meeting challenges are being "richly blessed', but it doesn't say how they are being blessed. How are they being blessed?

• jam
    jam

Justitia;; you are right. I had PTSD(viet nam). When I became A JW in 1971 I still had the

problems as A result of PTSD. Around 1973 I new something was wrong but did not seek

professional help. Around 1989 my condition had deteriorate so badly that I was unable to work.

It was then when I begain to get professional help. It was A no no at that time to see A head

DR. So after I left the JW my condition improved.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit