BrotherDan's POV

by PSacramento 59 Replies latest jw friends

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

Most people don't approach discussions with much psychological awareness, not to mention online psychology which can be a study in itself. Therefore this is pretty much inevitable with online communication. Some people will continue to believe in the primacy of challenging specific beliefs rather than frame it in terms of peoples state of mind. While it certainly raises questions in the minds of some, a lot of people who benefit from that information may do so not because they view these forums as a place for social interaction, but they just come to get the information and thought about it themselves. In that case the work of addressing beliefs may be relevant, but you couldn't say so-and-so got this person out - in fact that kind of social interaction may be counterproductive.

Strictly from an informational perspective, then, you gotta wonder what is the signal to noise ratio when it's presented in terms of forum discussions? While some may be heartfelt personal experiences and the reader may identify with those views, at other times it might just drown out the essential info too.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Do some truly try to attack and destroy people's faith?

--------------------------------------------------------------------

(thinking ... thinking ... ) -

Maybe we can turn that round and ask, why is it that "christians" (i.e. as more than the JW brand) find it so neccessary to tell me and tell me and tell me - all about their beliefs?

And, why is it that if I say I am quite happy NOT having faith in their god, that they will often tell me that they feel sorry for me, or that I'm going to be destroyed at Armageddon, or that I will be toasted forever in the divine toaster?

And, why is that if I tell them in conversation, that I have seen deep devotion, faith and works of compassion among buddhists, that they will almost always immediately tell me that Buddhism is not the truth (I'm not a buddhist, for the record).

And why is it that in Confucian (East Asian) lands, that if a family head converts to Christianity, he will often use his position to smash up ancestral tablets or household gods that are valued by others in his family, on the spurious grounds that they are either false gods or demonic objects?

For sheer intellectual arrogance its hard to beat a "christian" who is convinced, not by reason, but by this intangible thing called "faith," that his/her belief is absolute TRUTH. Such Christians cannot bear contradiction.

(still thinking ... thinking )

In a discussion we will all tend to say what we are thinking at this time, but sadly most Christians take offence if we disagree with them.

• Gregor
    Gregor

Far be it from me to spoil anyones fantasy world. I dressed up in a Santa Clause costume once for the Grandkids. Does that count?

• Think About It
    Think About It
    eh, some people are just drama queens...

I tend to believe he is still a young man that just gets to emotionally into his beliefs or issues. That being said, he brings alot of disagreement to himself by some of the things he posts or threads he starts. For instance, he could in effect also be accused of attacking others faith when he gets angry at those who don't believe in the Trinity, Hellfire, Jesus being a Superman, or Bible inerrancy for that matter. Lot's of people here as Ex-JW's although having issues with the WTS cult, still have beliefs contrary to Fundamentalism.

Think About It

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

fulltimestudent,

I think that painting all christians with the same brush would be like taking "aggressive atheists" and painting all atheist with that brush.

It would be wrong and close minded.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

fulltimestudent

• journey-on
    journey-on

You make excellent points, fulltimestudent. One does not need to believe in God or any religious philosophy to be a good and caring person. The godly principle of love can be exercised without adhering to a particular religion. Whether you have faith in a higher power behind the principle or not does not affect the flow of it. If you are receptive to it, you do not have to necessarily assign a label to it. It is simply the power of love at work in your life.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

There were certain aspects of cult life that suited him and that he wasn't prepared to question.

Us asking those questions, isn't an attack.

Dan's thinly veiled threat that we'll get our lesson from his loving god that burns his critics forever in hell isn't an attack either. Is it?

• Joey Jo-Jo
    Joey Jo-Jo

Just like a big community, you will have a lot of different personalities with different believes and views, and in the community there are rules, these rules do not undermine who we are as individuals but these rules could be lacking in this forum..maybe not.

I understand Dan's views because once I was reading the KJV and Walter Martin books which he is an evangelist, what I wanted to point to him is that the bible is not a flawless book which you can use Mark to make a point in John (I AM IAM john is the only book in the NT that has I AM), there are 2 versions of Jesus birth and 2 versions of Jesus death, two versions of Judas death, 4 versions of Jesus tomb etc, and most NT uses the book of Mark.

there is a lot of material out there that I think people should read with an open mind, the same when a JW reads an apostate book so should a EX JW on other matters, in the end its our decision and nobody should make that decision for us.

• Heaven
    Heaven

Faith that does not stand up to scrutiny is just another word for lie. If this is shown to people with said faith, some, perhaps many, will get defensive because they would rather believe in a lie that makes then comfortable than face the honest truth. If you are truly self-aware and open, you will embrace the honest truth and alter your beliefs. If you are not, then you will defend your faith to the bitter end.

This is what the JWs are like... as well as others with faith without scrutiny.

I hope BrotherDan can take some time to examine his faith. I hope that he can hold on to the parts that stand up to scrutiny and discard the parts that do not.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit