Old Songbooks

by JediMaster 16 Replies latest watchtower bible

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

Thanks for the help, everyone. Ideally, I'd like to get both lyrics and music in a printable format. I know that, as WTS publications go, this probably isn't high on anyone's scanning list. And what confuses the matter even more is that so many of the WT's songbooks have very similar tiitles. The pdf that possible-san posted was the 1950 songbook, but has almost the same titles as the 1928 songbook. In terms of your suggestion that I request songs from your friend, I don't have the actual book anymore to know which songs I would want. Guess I'll just keep hoping that someone with a copy eventually does a pdf version. If anybody runs across one that is available, please let me know.

• JediMaster
    JediMaster

Thanks for the help everyone... I was able to find a few of the old songbooks. Boy were things different back then!!! I'd love to hear 5,000 people try to sing double chorus at a convention these days.... LOL

Neonman you're right. A lot of titles are the same, but w/o the music it's kinda hard to tell. Also, the words to some songs did change quite a bit between 1900-1930's years.

So far these are the ones I'm missing: I looked everywhere but can't find them. I find it odd specially since one of them is not that old...

Singing and Accompanying Yourselves With Music in Your Hearts (1966, 119 songs)

Songs of Praise to Jehovah (1928, 337songs)

Kingdom Hymns (1925; 80 songs)

Songs of the Bride (1879, 144 songs)

I think the first two would be the most interesting to compare with their counterparts. I'm sure there's quite a few changes between "Accompanying Yourselves" vs "Sing Praises" and "Songs of Praise to J" vs "Songs of Praise to J".

Anybody have an extra copy of "Accompanying Yourselves"??

• blondie
    blondie

http://www.strictlygenteel.co.uk/booklets/Songs%20To%20Jehovah's%20Praise.pdf

Boy, does this bring back good and bad memories.

I was the piano player:

4,6,8,12,15,18,22,23,26,29,30,34,45,57,63,67,77,87.....easy to sing, some even fun

• james_woods
    james_woods

I seem to recall that we just had the songbooks there at the kingdom hall like any other church - so unless you were the piano player or in the orchestra for the assembly, most witnesses might not even have owned their own copy.

Maybe that is why obsolete copies of the old songbooks are more rare than other society literature.

I still remember how quickly the music went downhill when the first official records came out and the piano and orchestras were done away with.

• blondie
    blondie

Our family had copies and I was the only piano player. I can't see the WTS missing an opportunity to make money on the songbooks...I figure it was more that people threw the old ones away when the new ones came in.

• bereanbiblestudent
  • possible-san
    possible-san

3Mozzies.

Thank you for your PM.

I sent PM to you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit