I admit, abject and utter failure.....

by notverylikely 36 Replies latest social entertainment

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

I tried, I thought I could make it work, it seemed so easy, but alas, in my project to turn a used $3 cigar box into a functional humidor I failed miserably. I never could make the box airtight enough AND allow enough air to circulate through to keep the cigars moist enough with a passive humidifier. The humidity kept falling too low, I kept have to try to seal more edges of the box and eventually I started losing cigars.

I broke down today and bought a $40 humidor and in the space of just a few hours it is already keeping the cigars more moist and humid.

I failed. At least I only lost 3 cigars out of the 15 or so I had in there.

Of course, I bought 14 more today.

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

You sure you're not listening to those right wing fringe radio hosts too much, McGuyver?

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

Oh, no, I don't. I listen to talk radio a lot, mostly NPR, and Rush every week or so. I just love a good cigar and now that I am DF'ed and no longer have to hide them, I wanted to have some around for whenever I wanted one.

Granted, in my quest to try new ones, I might have gone overboard a bit, but they'll keep for years in a good humidor.

And hey, I just figured certain ones here would be giddy to see me admit to utter failure at something :)

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

Wait a minute, I misunderstood you, and its my fault because I didn't read your opening post properly. I apologize, but cigars have to be sealed properly, or kept at ideal temperatures?

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

They need to be kept between 68 and 70% relative humidity but still have some air exchange. That was the problem, even with a passive humidifier, I couldn't get a good enough seal and let enough air in.

Oh well, the whole experiment cost me $10 bucks.

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

Ok, I gotcha!! I never knew that about cigars. I've never smoked so much as a cigarette. Was tempted to try weed at times in my life, but I've never smoked anything.

Let me ask you, what does a cigar taste like. Do you get a buzz, is there an aquired taste, what is it about cigars?

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

NVL..

God loves People who take care of their Cigars..

It`s in the Bible..

............................ ...OUTLAW

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

NVL..

God loves People who take care of their Cigars..

It`s in the Bible..

What verse is that Outlaw LOl?

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

Let me ask you, what does a cigar taste like. Do you get a buzz, is there an aquired taste, what is it about cigars?

Cigars, unlike cigarettes and weed, are NOT inhaled. It's all about the flavor, you just pull the smoke into your mouth, allow the aroma to surround your senses and blow it out.

For me it was not an acquired taste, I loved the very first one I ever had. Only once did I ever try to inhale.

Compared to cigarettes, they are (or rather, are if they are good) free of chemicals other than what they naturally produce. Usually they pair well with scotch or bourbon or wine, so if you get a buzz, it ain't from the cigar. I like darker (maduro and obiscuro) cigars with a rich, bold flavor, some like lighter cigars (claro or colorado) that are milder.

Part of it is about the fact that to smoke one, you sit down and relax for about an hour to take your time, you slow down, just enjoy that moment.

I highly recommend it. You can get some really good cigars for not a lot of money.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Misery..

There always space in the Bible to write what you like..

I scratched out "Undeserved Kindness"..And..Wrote in "Cigars"..

............................ ...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit