harder for people of color to get on gb than getting on kitchen staff?

by booby 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

13% of the Governing Body is of african descent. About the same as U.S. population according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_the_United_States.

• wiser
    wiser

This is absolutely shameful! So much for for progress.

• Scott77
    Scott77

This thread is of interest to me. In 2004, I recall visiting Bethel at Perterson and Walkill. During the guided tour inside the complex, we visited the laundry department. I was shocked to see all guys manning the laundry were black. All were wearing a tie as if one is in the Kingdom Hall. The place was hot, and guys were sweating. No one complained.

Scott77

• Palimpsest
    Palimpsest

13% of the Governing Body is of african descent. About the same as U.S. population according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_the_United_States.

True...except, just under 25% of the U.S. population is non-white, so where are the Asians, Hispanics, etc.? And do they not proclaim themselves to be an international organization -- in a world where whites make up only 20-25% of the population? And isn't the greatest growth happening in Africa and Latin America?

If they want to claim to be an international, color-blind church, they have to start acting like it, even if it's just for PR purposes. Otherwise, this is just more proof that they're little more than a historically white-dominated American group with minor satellites elsewhere.

• VampireDCLXV
    VampireDCLXV

Palimpsest! Where have you been? Haven't seen ya in a coons age...

As for the discussion at hand: I've said before that non-partiality among JW's is a myth. I've lived through that bullshit with my immigrant parents and nonbelieving dad. My family aren't even people of colour..

V665V665

• Scott77
    Scott77

VampireDCLXV states below that ..

I've lived through that bullshit with my immigrant parents and nonbelieving dad. My family aren't even people of colour.

Please, elaborate on that

Scott77

• VampireDCLXV
    VampireDCLXV
    Please, elaborate on that

Okay... My parents are white and eastern European. We should have gotten along fine, right? Wrong.

My father is an unbeliever so other JW's treated me like a (spiritual) bastard child, me and my sisters. They ignored my mother because of that as well.
    My mother still speaks with a heavy accent and again, my family got ignored because of that too. I hardly had any friends when I was growing up and the same went for my mother and sisters.

As a whole, my family was ignored and treated like crap because we weren't like everyone else. JW's CLAIM to be the kindest, most loving, most non-discrimnitory people on the face of the planet. The JW's discriminating against my family is one of many things that prove otherwise...

V665V665

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

I suspect it's true of anyone, that it's harder to get on the governing body than on the kitchen staff.

• booby
    booby

Some time before my "awaking" I met a sister from my congregation who struggled with meeting attendance and such. However I understood because she didn't have the greatest support from her husband and had three children to get ready and so on. But when she said that JW's are the most judgemental people on the planet it really bothered me. Her comment came from the way she was treated because of being on the fringes of the congregation because of her level of activitly. I ended up hearing a similar sentiment from a few others who struggled for various reasons and admittedly were looked upon with some negativity. And now that I have had the opportunity to be treated in a similar way I have come to feel the same. I can fully agree with that young sister that they are indeed among the most if not the most judgemental people on the planet.

• booby
    booby

And Keyser soze I am quite sure you didn't miss the sarcasm.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit