Bart Ehrman

by Joey Jo-Jo 44 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    VERY close <--------- Copies of copies of copies of copies of copies.

Historically speaking, yes.

As long as you receive a Personal Revelation, then I don't see how the Scriptures even matter. Moreover, most folks just interpret away the portions of Scripture they don't agree with.

Personal revelation, the bible, interpretation, all work in union, its not a case of either/or.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    interpretation

I'm content with knowing that interpretation can explain ALL of our differences of opinion. I'm also fine with it.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    PSac, do you agree with Ehrman on this point? Or, is that description a bit too strong? I know that you don't think the Bible is free of errors, etc.

Actually, Bart is incorrect, the bible is FUNDAMENTALLY reliable, if by fundamentaly you mean "basically".

That is, IF you take the bibel for what it is and do not add to it what you wanted it to be or what it was never meant to be.

IMHO, Ehrman's books don't represent a threat to Cahtolics or Episcopals. His books 'might' shake the faith of an ignorant Fundmentalist -- which is what I used to be.

It's been hinted by some that know Bart that his "crisis of faith" came while working on the book about the canon of the NT with his teacher Bruce Metzger. Note that Metzger is NOT an bible inerrant and wasn't at the time but Bart WAS.

Reality tells us that MOST Christians don't view the Bible as the inerrant Word of God.

To say that a book written by Man is without errors is to insinuate Man is perfect.

While the Word of God is revealed in many passages of the bible, the bible is not JUST about that and not all passages and stories and not all the content of the bible is about God per say.

Some of the bible is stories, some is history, some is parable but the problem for US, going at it 2000 years after the fact, is putting ourselves into the sandals of ancient man and trying to understand what was being said to THEM and THEIR time and WHO was saying it and WHY.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    what it was never meant to be.

Now, we're back to interpretation. What was the Bible meant to be?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    To say that a book written by Man is without errors is to insinuate Man is perfect.

The Fundmentalist will answer, quite simply, that God can accomplish anything he wants to accomplish, with or without imperfect men.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Now, we're back to interpretation. What was the Bible meant to be?

Well, IF the bible was simple meant to be the "word of God", then all it would have in would be a bunch of rules, commandments and principles that were sated by God and yet there is FAR more than that.

The Fundmentalist will answer, quite simply, that God can accomplish anything he wants to accomplish, with or without imperfect men.

Well, how can one argue with reasoning like that ?

Wait, I know, read the bible itself and you will see warnings about attempts to "speak for God", you will see warnings to test what is written and what is taught, you will see Jesus saying " you search the written words for God yet you do not find Him there", you see Jesus saying, "who sees me see that Father", not " who sees scriptures sees the father".

Scriptures are a tool for us to use, but like any tool, it must be used properly.

Just because you cna use a mug to hammer a nail, doesn't mean it was designed for that or that there isn't something better for that job, like a hammer.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    I'm content with knowing that interpretation can explain ALL of our differences of opinion. I'm also fine with it.

So were most of the early Christians, Paul didn't always agree with Peter, James didn't always agree with Paul, John had his own outlook on things, Thomas didn't believe unless he had "emperical proof" and no one thought that Judas ever got that hangman was just the NAME of that game.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Well, IF the bible was simple meant to be the "word of God", then all it would have in would be a bunch of rules, commandments and principles that were sated by God and yet there is FAR more than that.

This itself is an interpretation. Why should anyone accept your view? How did you reach this conclusion?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    Scriptures are a tool for us to use, but like any tool, it must be used properly.

An interpretation. How does one know how to use it properly?

• cofty
    cofty

I've read "God's Problem" and highly recommend it.

There is no such thing as the Bible's answer to theodicy - there are a range of answers. He addresses each of them thoughfully.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit