Bart Ehrman

by Joey Jo-Jo 44 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Joey Jo-Jo
    Joey Jo-Jo

Hi everybody,

Bought Gods problem by Bart Ehrman's, firs book i have read from this author, he makes some interesting points about suffering(biblical vs the real world), jews view on Jesus etc, and that he does not believe in the OT or NT but he does not consider himself to be an atheist , if anyone has read this book what do you think? negative or positive feedback appreaciated .

Thanks,

Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo

• 3Mozzies
    3Mozzies

Sounds absolutely fascinating!

I have never heard of it, I'm going to look into it. Thanks Joey Jo-Jo

So what do you think of it so far Joey?

3Mozzies

• Watchtowers Witnesses
    Watchtowers Witnesses

I have not read God's Problem, but have read Misquoting Jesus and Jesus, Interupted. Both books are by Ehrman. I highly recommend them. Both books were very eye opening.

• Joey Jo-Jo
    Joey Jo-Jo

3Mozzies - One word awesomeness with a capital O

• sabastious
    sabastious

I have seen his lectures. I love his arguments against Biblical inerrancy.

-Sab

• behemot
    behemot

I read the book last year: very good stuff, sound reasoning against theodicy's nonsensical arguments.

I also had an exchange of emails with the author, very cool guy.

• onemore
    onemore

I read Ehrman’s Misquoting Jesus and sections of Lost Christianities, both very intriguing and eye opening books. Actually, Misquoting Jesus was one of the first books that I read which was not related to JW stuff. They sparked my interest into studying the historical context of early Christianity.

But…from my experience as a JW, I learned to always check and consider the other side of the argument, in other words, to check what other have to say about certain points. So, a little after reading Misquoting Jesus, I read Reinventing Jesus by J. Ed Komoszewski. I highly recommend reading this book, and The Historic Reliability of the Gospel. Both books present an excellent response to the questions raised by Ehrman’s books; also, they further clarify certain historical events and details that were misrepresented by Ehrman in his books.

Here is a good video....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDrdQuk1Jwk

• xchange
    xchange

I think what Erhman stressed in his books is to read the bible through a historical lens versus a devotional lens and you will come up with a different idea of the bible. Bottom line is that men, mere men, wrote the the books that make up the bible and it shows.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Almost every point that Bart makes has been answered a few times over, many of them by his own professor Bruce Metzger, when he was alive.

Nothing new there it seems, but I have n ot read "God's problem" so I don't know what THAT books is stating.

Just remember that Bart is stating an opinion and nothing more and like any opinion, the counter arguments should also be studied with equal zeal.

• donuthole
    donuthole

I have read some of Bart's books, but not God's Problem. In my opinion his books are often inflated in importance. It seems like every Easter he has a new hardcover on the shelf with the publisher claiming to offer some earth-shatering secrets on Christianity or the Bible. Then when you get the book it just a retread of dusty old scholarship and the same old Bible discrepencies that have been bandied about for a century or more. His books are easy reads and may give a person a different perspective but for every one of his passioned arguments you'll find another "scholar" who can give an equally passionate rebuttal. If your faith matters to you, I wouldn't put my trust in Ehrman, or any man for that matter.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit