If We Were to Take the Flood Account Literally..

by Yan Bibiyan 92 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• bohm
    bohm

jag: the fundamental issue is not really genetics alone (which i am sure you are every bit as competent in as I or NVL would be had i taken a 1 week course 10 years ago which i have not), its how genetics is applied to a population of animals (be that the two original wolfes) and about what that will result in about 5000 years down the line. Check out the link i posted on the previous page.

TD: I have often wondered about that when i saw documentaries on "primitive" natives (but i did not know the interesting examples). It seem to smart and to wide spread to be a coinsidence.

tec: Thanks for the link!

• bohm
    bohm

tecs article is a really good read. But check out this example of an awfull and crappy writeup:

Life on Earth Arose Just Once

...some scientists have proposed that multiple primordial life forms could have tossed their genetic material into life’s mix, creating a web, rather than a tree of life.

To determine which hypothesis is more likely correct ... The results ... come down overwhelmingly on the side of a single ancestor.

After the first page i was getting more and more critical of the article, untill i read what they actually did:

The theory ofUCAallows for thepossibility ofmultiple independent

origins of life1–6. If life began multiple times, UCA requires a ‘bottleneck’

in evolution inwhich descendants of only one of the independent

origins have survived exclusively until the present (and the rest have

become extinct), or, multiple populations with independent, separate

origins convergently gained the ability to exchange essential genetic

material (in effect, to become one species). All of the models examined

here are compatible with multiple origins in both the above schemes,

and therefore the tests reported here are designed to discriminate

specifically between UCA and multiple ancestry, rather than between

single andmultiple origins of life. Furthermore,UCAdoes not demand

that the last universal common ancestor was a single organism24,25, in

accord with the traditional evolutionary view that common ancestors

of species are groups, not individuals26. Rather, the last universal common

ancestor may have comprised a population of organisms with

different genotypes that lived in different places at different times25.

Hence it is important to keep in mind it is NOT talking about an actual microorganism as the UCA, the UCA is considered a a gene pool in organisms that may not even have lived at the same time, but which was "stirred" by HGT at such a rate it should -across time and distance- be considered one "effective" organism.

• bohm
    bohm

Having read the paper in question, it is certainly good work. But if one look at the methods they are effectively trying to answer the question:

"We want to express the information content in these 23 genes taken from the major phylas/taxas. Which model allow us to compress the information in the genes along with the parameters in our model the best."

The models they consider are some with multiple, different, origins and "trees" for the gene, different (parametric) models for how the genes evolve, and different (parametric) models for HGT.

If someone want to use this in an argument, this is a completely out-of-the-textbook way to do data analysis.

What they find is that a single, rooted, tree is by far the simplest model. Hence the result - especially the numeric values! - depend in a *major* way on the assumptions being put in on how evolution is supposed to have happened, and i am very sure the writers of the nature article would disagree about how the result is presented (with a numerical value!) in the writeup - its really a lot more qualitative and subjective in nature like the authors of the actual nature article does not try to hide (i doubt the writeup was written by a person who actually read what he wrote about).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit