ks10-E p70 - Elders told “NOT to involve themselves in what individuals do with regard to petty gambling solely for entertainment!”

by LUKEWARM 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LUKEWARM
    LUKEWARM

30. Greed-gambling, extortion: (I Cor. 5:10,11; 6:10; 1 Tim. 3:8; it-1 pp. 789, 1005-1006; w891/15 p. 22) Christians should avoid gambling in all its various forms, including lotteries. (Isa. 65:11; g02 7/22 pp. 4-8; w89 7/15 p. 30; g82 7/8 pp. 25-27; g8111/22 p. 27) If a person makes a practice of gambling and after repeated counsel unrepentantly pursues a course of greediness, judicial action would be appropriate.-w80 9/1 pp. 29-30; w67 p. 356.

31. An individual continuing in employment directly involved with gambling or employment making him a clear accomplice or promoter of gambling would be subject to judicial action, usually after being allowed time, perhaps up to six months, to make the needed adjustments. (w95 5/15 p. 23 par. 11; km 9/76 pp. 3-6) In questionable cases it is best to consult with the branch office.

32. If a business gives out prizes or prize money to winners of a con test or to potential customers for advertising, accepting the gift is an individual's decision to make. However, a person needs to be careful that accepting such a prize does not stir up greed. (Rom. 14:21; 1 Cor. 10:31-33; g7S 7/8 p. 28; w73 p. 127) The elders do well not to involve themselves in what individuals do with regard to petty gambling solely for entertainment. They may need to give counsel if this becomes a cause of stumbling for others or affects the spirituality of the individual or the congregation.-w02 11/1 p. 3l.

So if a JW is caught gambling and can justify that the motivation is not greed but entertainment, they will probably get some counsel about how this may effect others bla bla bla but would avoid the judicial committee.

Seems the Pharisaic goons in Brooklyn have defined "petty gambling solely for entertainment" as NOT being a sin of greed!

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

I would have to agree with this position of theirs. I can't see how it would be greedy.

In the real world, however, the publisher will be 'on the hook' to whatever the local body of elders thinks.

• sir82
    sir82

Translation: some folks in the legal and/or service department enjoy "fantasy football" and Super Bowl pools.

Thus, by the stroke of a pen, "petty gambling solely for entertainment" is now approved.

• blondie
    blondie

Petty gambling (old manual)

A person must guard against the view that petty gambling

solely for entertainment is harmless. ( Gal. 6 :7, 8)

However, elders would not want to get involved in what

publishers do in this respect unless spirituality is

endangered, either that of the individual or that of the

congregation.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

While that shows a softening, if the elders are even aware of a member's involvement in entertainment gambling, it would be an indication to many of them that it goes too far. I join football pools at work for the sake of "fitting in" when they need a tenth person to complete the pool. I know that would fall into the category of "petty gambling solely for entertainment" but I am also sure they would use it as a reason for a JC just to get rid of an inactive member.

• CuriousButterfly
    CuriousButterfly

If they consider that gambling then NO ONE should play the stock market, IMO that "could" be considered gambling. We all know the WTS has to dabble in the stock market.

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

Guess the March Madness pools are pretty popular at Bethel!

Although, I have to say that there is really no harm in playing the March Madness basketball pools, betting $1 per hole on the golf course, playing football pools and fantasy football. I know gambling can be bad for some folks but its harmless for the most part as long as the dollar amounts are low.

I was always under the impression that ALL gambling was a df'ing offense so thanks for that snippet from the old manual Blondie! Guess my college football pool is acceptable after all!!

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

Woohoo! Vegas anyone??

• Gayle
    Gayle

Most JWs are mostly too busy "gambling" their time, money and life (blood issue) on the organization.

• LUKEWARM
    LUKEWARM
    If they consider that gambling then NO ONE should play the stock market, IMO that "could" be considered gambling. We all know the WTS has to dabble in the stock market.

Yeah, funny how there's nothing wrong with playing the stock market, but if one plays the lottery, then they are in the category of greedy and materialistic and could face a judicial committee unless they can convince the elders that its just "petty gambling solely for entertainment!"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit