Disappointed by JW Visit

by Cold Steel 32 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

Okay, I wanted to know more about the JWs, so I went to the website and filled in my name and other info. I was finally contacted, set up an appointment and visited. The first two people came and they were nice, but one of the fellows looked uptight and avoided eye contact. The other came for all three visits and was genuinely nice and clearly a believer. During the third visit, they came with an elder who seemed to be more aggressive.

Back in the 70s, the JWs I spoke with seemed to be very knowledgable about their religion and about the Bible. But these guys kept writing down my scriptural references and telling me they'd get back to me on them. Specifically, I pointed out the "other" verses associated with Armageddon (the ones showing that it would be located at Jerusalem). In these cases, it wasn't a matter of them disagreeing with me as much as that these scriptures came as a complete surprise to them! The terms "Judah" and "Jerusalem" seemed to really throw them. I also asked about the validity of their religion and why it wasn't a manmade church, while all the others were. On the third visit, they assured me they would check the scriptures and get back to me. (The elder took quite a few notes, folded the papers and stuffed them in his pocket.)

They also assured me they'd be back in touch for another visit, but that's the last I heard from them. It's been two weeks and...nothing.

Did I offend them? Scare them off? What?

I was very surprised by all three visits and the fact that none of these guys seemed to know how to answer critical questions. In short, they seemed to know all the scriptures in that little book they gave me, but little else. It made me wonder what had happened to them. In short, they read the book with me, asking all the questions that had predetermined answers -- and they were ill prepared to handle any questions that weren't in the book. Then they stopped coming!

Back in the "day," they were much better versed than they are now. Their arguments weren't any better back then, but at least they knew how to handle a curve ball. Now all they'd say was, "That's an interesting point. I'll make a note of it here and we'll get back to you." (I think I could have debated their points better than they did, except for the ones questioning the church's verity. (In olden days, churches and church officers were established and appointed by prophets, apostles and others that weren't self-appointed. Now the JWs' claim to be the church and kingdom of Jehovah is based only on the process of elimination, and anyone can do that! And they do! Seventh Day Adventists, churches of Christ -- they're all established with their own claims to fame, though the SDA can point to the visions and revelations of Ellen White who, like Muhammed, didn't leave a successor.) The small book they gave me doesn't make much of a case, either, except to condemn other religions as being false. I guess that would make theirs true by contrast.

But all that aside, why didn't they come back? I can't believe they caved that easily. I was pulling my punches as it was because I really wanted to get the answers and wasn't interested in a debate.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

After 1975 Jehovah`s Witness`s are`nt sure what they believe..

They boarded up the windows in Kingdom Halls and have been hiding out ever since..

....................... ...OUTLAW

• seawolf
    seawolf

They're going for the low-hanging fruit (people that don't question and gobble it all up like the dog returning to its vomit) and are easy. You're probably too much trouble/questions/time so they moved on.

• garyneal
    garyneal

Interesting. Makes me think of a conversation I had with an elder of my wife's congregation. I recall asking him how he came to believe that this religion was the truth. I was surprised that all it took was a few Bible studies but he said the witnesses who studied with him was able to answer all his questions from scripture.

Since he's been in the truth for 50+ years, I can assume that those witnesses who studied with him were indeed more knowledgeable of their doctrine.

• daringhart13
    daringhart13

That isn't surprising to me at all.

The vast majority.....like 95% or more couldn't tell you anything about the Bible or their own religion's history. Its shocking....and deeply disturbing. They get in that pool and get baptized knowing almost NOTHING.....

Those I love are still practicing....and admit to me they know 'nothing about the Bible'......

I just sit there with my jaw on the ground

• caliber
    caliber

According to a very close JW relative.. this is the current stance of JW's ..". present magazines , don't get into deep discussions or arguments !" ..invite then to the KH

I think they are aware of all the information out there that could "stumble " new publishers .

Even most Elder are shamefully unaware of WT history !

When I tried to talk to this relative about past histroy , even just that one question ... " Have you proved to yourself that

the WT was appointed by God in 1919...what do the facts show ?"

He simply answered I just keep looking straight ahead and never look back ! ( a former Elder now elderly )

• yknot
    yknot

Kinda makes you wonder how we manage to beat out the Mormons on conversion....... (sisterly giggles)

The great dumbing down........sigh.

Gone are the days of the 'truth can withstand any scrutinty'......

I think I am starting to get more about the 'revelation' thing .....(granted it is still pretty foreign but understanding the depth to you)

• ssn587
    ssn587

cold steel, you mention the following:

I pointed out the "other" verses associated with Armageddon (the ones showing that it would be located at Jerusalem).

If you would be so kind as to site these scriptures or to send them to me via a pm I would be most appreciative. tks in advance.

• seawolf
    seawolf

ssn587,

I was wondering the same thing. Hope they're posted here so those not up on it can be in the know.

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

Actually, it is the focus to get householders in the "Bible Teach" book,and that , is probably what they are trying to do. They want to start a regular study with you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit