Are all sexual predators pedophiles?

by Lady Lee 37 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

miseryloveselders

is it possible you guys are looking too far into this? What difference does it make if you label these folks as Chesters, Pedophiles, Rapos, or Sexual Predators?

Possibly. But too often the term pedophile has come to mean the weirdo lurking in dark places - a sleezy character. We need to clarify the definitions to help victims and survivors free themselves of the shame they often feel. Men who do go after children often choose careers that will put them in cxlose proximity to children and in a manner that gives them a degree of authority over them - priests, teachers, coaches, "brothers". Pedophiles find most of their victims because they are in a role that allows parents to willingly hand their kids over to them because of their positions of supposed trust and authority. And this is what they rely on. The guy in the park or trying to pick up kids in his car are not the usual pedophiles. The respectable-looking ones are the ones we rerally need to watch out for and warn our kids about.

Although my father and step-father both sexually abused children, their main attraction wasn't too children. My father went after the 25 yr old hookers just as avidly as he went after me. Neither of these two cared about age.

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

Were you a magnet, Lee?

I don't think magnet is an accurate term. i think its more a of a situation that LL had the great misfortune to be born into a highly dysfunctional environment. And of course, the youngest, smallest, most vulnerable are the ones that are going to get victimized.

You question insinuates that LL was in a normal environment and somehow attracted or drew that sort of attention to herself, and so therefore she would be the source of the problem…………I bet you didn’t mean that.

• minimus
    minimus

No I didn't Lee. I just am amazed by what you wrote! It's equally amazing that you are in the situation you are in today where you can help others who have gone through what you have endured.

• Dark Side
    Dark Side

DS, what's that about?? Your comment here fits that description.

Are all sexual predators pedophiles?

Are all rapists pedophiles? No, you moron

Your idiotic question is idiotic

• minimus
    minimus

Dark Side, I really don't know what you're talking about but I'll tell you, you sound like an angry person. Maybe this forum gives you a chance to try to verbally beat people up? I'm used to cowards like you. You're the moron and idiot. Go to New Orleans, willya?

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

Minimus, children get victimized when thay are not protected, period.

Guess what would happen if you didn't protect your kids? All sorts of awful stuff.

I was not protected either, and though the leval of abuse that I went though does not seem to be near the scale of what LL lived though, I can easily top her number of abusers, if I count everyone who touched me in a sexual manner or exposed themselves to me before I was even a teenager.

It's not about what kind of person the kid is, it's about whether that kid is protected or not.

• minimus
    minimus

You are obviously correct! But certainly not all children who are not 'protected" get sexually abused.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Mini

Were you a magnet, Lee?

I was Min and no that isn't a stupid question at all. It is actually quite a good one considering how many victims have multiple abusers.

When we teach children they have to kiss Uncle Bill goodnight when he comes to visit or that they should go sit on Grandpa's knee or give "sister" X a hug before she leaves and we ignore the child's discomfort we are teaching them that their feelings don't matter, that hurting someone else's feelings is a bad thing. But some kids already know that sitting on that lap means a hand is slipped up where it shouldn't be or that that hug means a hand will grab just a bit too tightly where it shouldn't be. Maybe all they know so far is that it doesn't feel good.

If we don't teach children that they can just wave and smile across the room or offer an handshake then we are setting them up for a potential abuser.

I was a magnet because of a few important factors

• I was taught you never ever disobeyed an adult so you sat on that knee feeling an erection under me or the hand sliding up under my skirt
    • I was taught to do what I was told whether I liked it or not
    • I was taught that when it came to the word of an adult and a child the child would always be branded the liar
    • Because I didn't get the love and affection I needed at home I became vulnerable when I tried to find it elsewhere - sadly predators saw that as a welcome invitation

I was sexually abused as a child from the age of 8 to 13 when I went into foster care (except for the 2 incidents with the first 2 on my list in the first post who were both minors and copping a feel). I was far safer with strangers than in my family. I was taught to be a victim and to shut up about it. And predators can spot a victim with ease.

I was actually surprised to find out how many other people were victims of multiple abusers throughout their childhoods. Too often mom kept getting involved with men who also abused children. My mother was sexually abused by her step-father. She turned around and married 3 men who sexually abused children while they were in relationships where they were getting plenty of sex from their wives. So you can't even say they weren't getting any so turned to children.

Later on I was sexually abused as an adult by 2 strangers, raped by someone I knew and sexually abused by my JW-elder husband over the 15 years of our marriage. When I finally learned that I had a right to say NO the abuse stopped. The last straw for me was when a guy exposed himself to me in the subway/metro. I walked away from him and outside only to see a police car which I went directly to and reported the guy. The guy disappeared back into the metro when he saw me talking to the police. The police and I went down after him thinking he would be long gone but saw him on his way back up. They nailed him. He begged and pleaded for me not to place charges which I refused.

For me there was a huge feeling of empowerment to report this guy. We were standing on the street and they guy is yelling he is sorry. A crowd is gathering and all I can think in "Never Again"

It has been 25 years since then and not 1 incident. To me that speaks volumes

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

But certainly not all children who are not 'protected" get sexually abused.

Well no, not everyone, I'm sure some would get out OK.

But tell me, if you leave your 8 year old daughter alone with a bunch of strangers on a regular basis, do you think she has a good chance of growing up without ever being taken advantage of?

And if people knew that you didn't look after your daughter and they saw other people take advantage of her, don't you thingk that would bring all the pervs out of the woodwork?

By neglecting her you make her an easy target, and that snowballs into more and more abuse.

• minimus
    minimus

It is sad to see how there are so many pieces of crap out there!

When your own parent has been abused, you haven't got a chance. Well, actually that isn't true. Lee, you were abused but I'm sure you would never think of harming a child. It's ironic how a person can either follow in the same footsteps as an abuser or do the complete opposite.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit