Jehovah - The Hearer of Prayer?

by Had To Go 14 Replies latest jw experiences

• VampireDCLXV
    VampireDCLXV
    Ask your son: "Would you ever call your father by his first name? Wouldn't that be disrespectful?" How much more so in using Gods name.

Hmm. I've never thought about it like that, 3Mozzies. Very interesting...

V665

• 3Mozzies
    3Mozzies

V665 it's one of the first things that came to my mind when I left the cult.

The JWs just throw that name around as if they are talking about their cat/dog, no respect at all.

Now the question arises: "Is the God in the OT the same as the one mentioned in the NT?" They are chalk & cheese to me. Things just don't add up.

3Mozzies

• Chalam
    Chalam

Jesus should know how to pray, no name required.

Matthew 6:9 (New International Version)

9 "This, then, is how you should pray:
    " 'Our Father in heaven,
    hallowed be your name,

Luke 11:1-2 (New International Version)

Jesus' Teaching on Prayer
    1 One day Jesus was praying in a certain place. When he finished, one of his disciples said to him, "Lord, teach us to pray, just as John taught his disciples."

2 He said to them, "When you pray, say:
    " 'Father, [ a ]
    hallowed be your name,
    your kingdom come. [ b ]

Footnotes:
    1. Luke 11:2 Some manuscripts Our Father in heaven
    2. Luke 11:2 Some manuscripts come. May your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.

Mark 14:36 (New International Version)

36 "Abba, [a] Father," he said, "everything is possible for you. Take this cup from me. Yet not what I will, but what you will."

Footnotes:
    1. Mark 14:36 Aramaic for Father

Romans 8:15 (New International Version)

15 For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. [a] And by him we cry, "Abba, [b] Father."

Footnotes:
    1. Romans 8:15 Or adoption
    2. Romans 8:15 Aramaic for Father

Galatians 3:26 (New International Version)

26 You are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus,

Galatians 4:6 (New International Version)

6 Because you are sons, God sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, the Spirit who calls out, "Abba, [a] Father."

Footnotes:
    1. Galatians 4:6 Aramaic for Father

Galatians 4:6 (New International Version)

6 Because you are sons, God sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, the Spirit who calls out, "Abba, [a] Father."

Footnotes:
    1. Galatians 4:6 Aramaic for Father

A fellow sibling,

Stephen

• mentallyfree31
    mentallyfree31

Good point. I remember Ray Franz's second book shows that point about Jesus never using the name Jehovah in prayer, but rather using the expression Father. Ray even tells how many times Jesus uses Father. I can't remember the number.

• 1Robinella
    1Robinella

Wow! How does anyone really know anything anyway? The world/universe is so masive, that us simple minded humans still do not understand or do not know that specifics of life, god etc. anyway. I believe you should continue to pray with your children and tell your children to remember to be respectful and have humility when speaking to the lord or father. As far as your husband, I'd tell him that "I want our children to be well rounded and when they are adults they can make there own decision regarding religion and who/what to pray to."

I believe pressure from your husband may influnce heavily on your children and it sounds like you need to educate your family about ALL religion.

-peace and respect

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit