The Watchtower is now the world's largest magazine!

by life is to short 69 Replies latest jw friends

• Momma-Tossed-Me
    Momma-Tossed-Me

Each issue of The Watchtower is planned a year in advance by the nine-member writing committee at the Witnesses' Brooklyn headquarters, and a central theme, such a child rearing or divorce, is chosen for that month.

This was commented on by someone else, but I think the point was missed. They have claimed in the past that the GB or writing department gives such timely information related to topics that are on peoples minds.

How can this be done a year in advance. What was news worthy 12 months earlier has certainly vanished from the publics minds.

I did not know this fact, but when I think about it, it really is true. Perhaps a year from now we will finally report the decrease that has really been going on. Ah, naw this is the Watchtower what was I thinking.

• booby
    booby

I've come late to this thread, but in reading the comment that debator made shows how out of touch and probably how young he/she is. He/she says "I like many Witnesses enjoy reading both the watchtower and awake. I have especially enjoyed the change in recent years to a watchtower study magazine particulariy for the Sunday meetings which has led to deeper articles on specific Bible doctrine." The articles today are not "deeper". He/she should go back and read some to the crap from 30 - 40 years ago. Now there was some pretty deep shit. I don't believe that there were many other than freddy that understood them but they were deep. I knew very few who I can say understood or thought they understood many of those articles. Remember that the public talks from assemblies along with the supporting talks form major watchtower articles in the year following. And back then some of those public talks were real doosies.

• donuthole
    donuthole

I think it would be a riot if they had a JW on that "Hoarders" television program and you go into their house and it is wall to wall back-issues with little narrow walking paths running to the rooms.

• steve2
    steve2

Debator clearly has not read the Watchtowers from the 1920s through 1950s: Genuinely deeply developed ideas were a regular feature of the magazine back then. Today, it's once over lightly and lots of big fonts.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I find that WT and Asleep magazine are very poor for lighting fires. They just don't burn. We had loads that we saved up for winter, but they were useless. Even once the fire was going well, adding them only put the fire out. They're no good for puppy training either, not big enough, and the ink sticks to the tiles. Has anybody seriously found a good use for them at all?

Fire is Satanic. Evidently, the Governing Body instructs holy spirit to protect the WT paper from burning well enough to be of any use.

• sd-7
    sd-7

Are they counting the fact that over 7 million Jehovah's Witnesses MUST receive at least one copy of both the Public and Study Editions? Because that would considerably change the dynamic here.

Assuming each publisher gets one Study Edition, that's 7 million copies right there. 3 or 4 Public Editions could boost that to 21-28 million. So easily, 35 million copies are going straight to Jehovah's Witnesses, who then may or may not place them in the hands of the public. Sorry, but those statistics simply ignore some reality, don't they?

-sd-7

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

It's funny how I can mention something from one of the ragazines to a dub and find out very quickly that they haven't read it. When most JWs don't read them, how can they expect householders to. And the study edition of the Botchtower revolves around two basic themes: 1) waste more time in field serve-us trying to recruit fresh drones, 2) obey the slave class, regardless of whatever sh!t they're trying to force you to eat.

• letsslatejws
    letsslatejws

Worlds largest magazine.... Like hell it is!!!

Its just circulated or stockpiled by the majority of JW's like I did. I recently burnt a bulk load of WT's as I had loads of them. Never placed them but needed to keep my report sheet looking good so had to keep my orders inflated to enable me to invent placements! - What a geek I was !!!! Who was I trying to kid.......

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

If JWs consume most of the magazines, this issue is basically like saying,

"People in prison eat prison food."

Shocking.

• Terry
    Terry

This is obviously a crafted press release that got picked up and passed on for filler!

What editor worth anything would allow an outrageously fictional figure to be printed as though it were true?

Example: Last year, the world's 7.3 million Jehovah's Witnesses spent 1.5 trillion hours knocking on doors.

The innumeracy behind such a preposterous number as this boggles my mind!

How Big is a Trillion?

In the U.S., one trillion is written as the number "1" followed by 12 zeros (1,000,000,000,000). One year of clock time =

(60sec/min) x (60 min/hr) x (24 hr/da) x (365.25 da) = 3.16 x 10 7 sec

One trillion seconds of ordinary clock time =

( 10 12 sec)/( 3.16 x 10 7 sec/yr) = 31,546 years! Those are seconds and not HOURS! I would be deeply ashamed to admit I swallowed such a figure with credulity! The entire population of planet Earth could not preach that many hours!!

Six trillion seconds equals 189,276 years.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit