Are Popovers and Yorkshire Pudding One and the Same?

by snowbird 37 Replies latest social entertainment

• CuriousButterfly
    CuriousButterfly

This is a photo of Judi's Restaurant's popovers. The brownish stuff is her apple butter.

• CuriousButterfly
    CuriousButterfly

I am so dying for one.....

• snowbird
  • St George of England
    St George of England

Nobody mentioned pancakes.

These are essentially Yorkshire Pudding mixture fried in a little oil in a frying pan, tossed over half way through cooking. They are traditionally served sprinkled with sugar and either orange or lemon squeezed on them. Always served on Shrove Tuesday (unless you are a JW of course!)

George

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

St George,

In New England we serve pancakes with maple syrup...or fresh berries and whipped cream...

Coffee

• Heaven
    Heaven

Popovers and Yorkshire Pudding are very similar but cooked in different pans in a slightly different way.

With Yorkshire Pudding, you put the fat from the roast into the bottom of a square pan and pour the mixed ingredients in and then bake.

With Popovers, you put oil in with the ingredients, blend, then pour into a muffin pan and bake.

At least, that's how we used to make them. They both are delish!

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

lozhazleft:

In Yorkshire they make large plate sized ones and then they put the Roast Beef, Vegetable and Gravy inside the pudding...very nice...I cant imagine having them with sweet things lol Loz x

If you make them with beef dripping in the traditional British way, no, you wouldn't like them with jam, probably. The only difference between popovers and Yorkshire pudding is the substitution of butter for beef dripping. And we all know how nicely butter and breadstuffs go with jam :)

gently feral

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

RosePetal,

I have often watched American shows and people are eating a meal they pass round a plate of what they call biscuits, they eat them with the meal and look like scones. Can anyone tell me what they are, and what they are made of, are they like yorshire puddings or very different ?

They are much more like scones than like Yorkshire puddings. They're leavened with baking powder, but are typically made with no sugar; they don't depend on the "surprise" effect of hot fat to rise. Also, you'll never see raisins in a baking powder biscuit (you can get scones in the US that often have all kinds of dried fruit in them. Lovely, but I don't know how British they are.) Just google a recipe for "baking powder biscuits" and you'll see what it's all about.

Also, in the US we have "strawberry shortcake," which starts with a large scone an oversized baking powder biscuit that is made with sugar. You split it open horizontally and pile it with sliced strawberries, sugar, and whipped cream. Then the top goes back on, and you can pile on more strawberries and cream if you like.

Oh, and snowbird explains:

Biscuits are made from self-rising or plain flour, shortening, buttermilk.

I defer to her expertise, but you can make tasty ones with sweet ("regular") milk.

St George of England, I must correct your statement:

These are essentially Yorkshire Pudding mixture fried in a little oil in a frying pan, tossed over half way through cooking.

That's a crépe. Or possibly a Swedish pancake. In the US, pancakes have baking powder in them. They're thicker than crépes and absorb butter and syrup delightfully.

gently feral

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit