I Want Some of That Convention Pudding!

by snowbird 97 Replies latest jw friends

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Blondie, you are the queen of WT info! Nice job. I had a feeling it was early 90's. I remember how they twisted the change to sound like "a gift from Jehovah". Now EVERYONE could listen to the program and not worry about food service!

The parking lot attendents still hang out outside for most of the sessions of the CA and DC. Also, regular attendents hang out outside for most of the day too.

• undercover
    undercover
    The parking lot attendents still hang out outside for most of the sessions of the CA and DC.

I loved and hated being a parking lot attendant.

Loved it because I got to come in late and leave early. Yes, we lollygagged around after the lot was full and we'd end up missing a good hour of the morning session. And then at the end of the day, we'd declare "I have parking lot duty. I have to go now" and miss the last hour of the session. Of course we didn't go straight to the parking lot. We hung out where it was air-conditioned until the prayer and then dashed off to our respective assigned stations.

Hated it because, generally speaking, JWs are the damn worst and slowest drivers on the planet. For a group of people so used to being told what to do, they have no clue how to follow direction when leaving a parking lot. And they don't understand how that peddle on the right works. The more pressure you put on it, the faster you go... grandma...

• snowbird
    snowbird
    I don't remember ever really eating convention food after I was married and that was longer ago than I care to remember...

Boy, you sho 'nuff got that devil in you this here day!

Syl

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Sylvia..

Ooohh I remember those days..

We spent from morning till night,making everything from scratch..In Assembly Kitchens..

The food was delicious..There were line ups at every meal and intermission..

People looked forward eating at the Assembly..

I left before all that ended..

The WBT$ killed one more thing everyone enjoyed..

The WBT$ killed one more thing that brought people together..

........................... ...OUTLAW

• snowbird
    snowbird

Yep, Outlaw.

I remember the cafeteria food.

Young men used to cook outside in huge vats underneath a tent.

The smell could make you delirious!

Isn't it something how cooking and eating together can bring about a sense of community?

Syl

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I remember my first circuit assembly in 1977. It was held at a high school, and they used the cafeteria to cook a most hearty and filling hot dinner (that was because there were evening sessions at this circuit assembly). Lots of meat, gravy, mashed potatoes, etc. I remember kids kicking around dry ice in the parking lot, as that was the first time I saw dry ice before.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I remember the old days, when it was real hot foods, not sandwiches.

Tamales. Arroz con pollo.

BTS

• JWoods
    JWoods

Maybe it was just my district & circuit, but somehow I remember assembly food being pretty awful.

Yet, almost everybody here has the opposite impression and misses the old volunteer food service days?

Yeah - maybe it was just me, or just my locality - but I just lived on cokes during those assemblies.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

We only had pastrami sandwiches at the Circuit Assembly never at the District here in NYC. Circuit Assembly food was much better that District, at the BLiss Theatre in Long Island City, the pastrami, hamburgers, Carvel style ice cream, to a kid that's the only reason to look forward to the assembly! And let's not forget the Pizza Shop on the corner and the Burger King a block or so away !

• snowbird
    snowbird

JWoods, the food wasn't as good as Dooky Chase's, but it was good, nonetheless.

Syl

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit