A JW Student turned up in my Psychology Class yesterday!

by Free yet lonely 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Free yet lonely
    Free yet lonely

I am a psychology teacher and yesterday a JW turned up in one of my groups. This girl has a strong JW family (Dad elder - mother mummy elder etc)! I was friends with this girls sisters prior to fading!

I was waiting to see if she would come back today and she did. The girl is not fearful and quiet that I am her teacher, she seemed delighted. I recently decided not to teach the topic of cults and am wishing that I had of. Should the girl be bright she will understand that the psychological theories they learn can be applied to her religion and if she is anything like me studying psychology will pull the rug out from beneath her JDub faith!!

Wonder what will happen on parents evening?????????? will be weird if her parents want to shun me ha!

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

Oh my, what irony!!! Hahahahahahahahaha!!!!!

The very fact that she's in college and taking such a course would lead me to believe that she's probably already out mentally. No active JW would take a psychology class.

I think a class or two centered around Steve Hassan's "Combatting Cult Mind Control" would be a great lesson in psychological warfare.

- Wing Commander

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I took the 2 basic pyschology class, one in high school and one in college. At the time, they didn't go through cults. And, nothing came to mind that my upbringing was a cult.

However, my sociology class made me think of my religion. The topic was why we act the way we do and conforming to group control. I remember the professor had us do some real world experiments. Like, facing the other way in the elevator, eating alone in a restaurant, etc. That "sort of" got my mind thinking.

Anyway, given Islam . . . I think discussing cults is very relevant today.

Skeeter

• Free yet lonely
    Free yet lonely

Yes the irony!!!

At the beginning of the course I asked all the kids to outline what they want to do and she said that she wants to a forensic psychologist!! no need for those in the new system is there!!

The first topic we cover is conforming to our in groups and bringing down the out group!!

The concept of cults is a suggested key issue on the teaching specification, teachers are allowed to choose the key issues that their students cover. I have always chosen another key issue to cover in the past.

I think that she must be on her way out mentally, as she was incredibly friendly and seems a very happy worldly-wise girl.

• theMadJW
    theMadJW

Well, C'MON, teach!

Shw ME how "the psychological theories that learn can be applied to her religion and if she is anything like me studying psychology will pull the rug out from beneath her JDub faith!!"...

Or are you just another HAB (Hot Air Baloon) in the huge stream here?

• theMadJW
    theMadJW

Back to class-ALREADY?

How am I supposed to escape this Mind-Controlling Cult without your brilliant Wisdom????

Lemme know when you get back; gotta run- the WTBS is makin me go door to door now- when I have so much work that needs to be donnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnne!

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

For the fun of it, I took an upper level sociology class. It was called "Sociology of Deviant Behavior." In it, the professor invited various "deviants" to class. We had a homosexual couple, a Hell's Angel, visited a federa; prison, an attorney for death row cases came, and even an ex-Mayor. We got to ask them any question we wanted, and it was a blast. Perhaps you can get some ex-Cult members from various cults to come to class to share their stories?

Skeeter

• theMadJW
    theMadJW

Now THAT does sound like fun! (And like Oprah)

• theMadJW
    theMadJW

The Mad Robot- controlled by the WTBS Cult...heh

• theMadJW
    theMadJW

Must be a long class...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit