Women as weaker vessel - explain?

by Libelle 68 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

Thanks dude. I am just planning for 10, 15 years from now and to not play THEIR game (the WT, that is), but to teach them that they don't even know what the game is, at least when it comes to my kids and my life.

Besides, she was my wife for 13 years. It's not like I suddenly stopped caring about her. We just can't be together anymore.

• Terry
    Terry

This is rather a large thorn in Christianity's paw: the husband OWNS his wife like property.

The Genesis story of Eden is a lame attempt to demonstrate women cannot be trusted because they are inherent troublemakers.

How many armies of women have marched off into World Wars? If this is weakness; it is one to embrace!

The most valuable asset Christianity has is submissive weaker vessels who transmit the power structure to defenseless children who will fall in with the program: Woman KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT while we STRONGER men teach you what's what.

Christian men must remain at the top of the heirarchy lest their incompetency be ably demonstrated by the strongest refutation possible: women with a better alternative!

Bad ideas are driven out by better ones.

Corrupt ideas are driven out by testing their empty premise in a practical setting.

WOMEN must be viewed as "weaker" lest that test put to rest the awful lie of man's "strength" as a leader of humanity.

• Heaven
    Heaven

Okay, all young women in America who are turning 18 should go register with the selective service just in case the draft should ever get reinstated.

I'm good with this. But do you seriously want to arm a woman who might go postal during her special time of the month? Oh wait... that could be an 'advantage' ... just make sure the gun is pointed at the real enemy. Now who is that again, exactly?!

• snowbird
    snowbird

LOL @ Heaven!

Syl

• Libelle
    Libelle

Terry, that's how I feel about the bible's stance on women in general... I was trying to see from a new perspective, but really, I still come away from such passages with the same taste in my mouth- sit down, and let us stronger, tougher men run the show, weak little lady.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

There is a flip side to this. Some men like the idea of a weak woman because some men believe they're easier to control.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

I wasn't trying to defend the WT's view of women. In fact I started a post a while back about this issue. I think they have a horrible view towards women. At the same time, I think there should be structure. I think the man and the woman need to reach MUTUAL decisions. Sometimes the man should compromise and same for the woman. They are equals. It doesn't have to be a manager vs employee situation. It can be a manager and a manager discussion. My kids are the employees! They can mow the yard... :-)

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/196095/1/Sexism-and-the-Organization

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

At the same time, I think there should be structure. I think the man and the woman need to reach MUTUAL decisions. Sometimes the man should compromise and same for the woman. They are equals. It doesn't have to be a manager vs employee situation. It can be a manager and a manager discussion. My kids are the employees! They can mow the yard... :-)

I totally agree.

• wantstoleave
    wantstoleave

There will always be men who abuse the term 'weaker vessel' just as much as there will be men who adore their wives and treat them with utmost respect. I have heard many JW men use the phrase 'I am the head of the house, you'll do as I say' and it always irritated me. The articles usually tell the husband to discuss things with his wife but that ultimately, it's HIS decision and the wife must abide and dutifully follow. Then why discuss it in the first place? If HE has the final say, what's the point?

Then there's the other extreme where some men don't make any decisions at all, don't care to discuss things and leave everything to the wife. They are happy with that but from personal experience, maybe a female thing, but generally women like to talk things out, get both points of view and then make an informed decision. I don't see why in a JW marriage both partners can't discuss things and make a joint decision. Of course sometimes there will be disagreements but love and respect should come out the winner, even if one has to yield.

I've always thought the term 'weaker vessel' was leaning more towards a woman's fragile emotional makeup. Example hormonal changes pre-period, during a period, menopause and the challenges of pregnancy, birth and raising a family. But I do believe some have extended that to enabling JW men to overshadow their wives, placing emphasis on power rather than respect.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit