The Five Languages of Love

by Voices 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Voices
    Voices

Has anyone read this book? I was wondering if people have reserched it. There's a website...that explains it...here:

What if you could say or do just the right thing guaranteed to make that special someone feel loved? The secret is learning the right love language! Millions of couples have learned the simple way to express their feelings and bring joy back into marriage: The 5 Love Languages, Dr. Gary Chapman’s New York Times bestseller! Words of Affirmation—Actions don’t always speak louder than words. If this is your love language, unsolicited compliments mean the world to you. Hearing the words, “I love you,” are important—hearing the reasons behind that love sends your spirits skyward. Insults can leave you shattered and are not easily forgotten.

• Words of Affirmation

Actions don’t always speak louder than words. If this is your love language, unsolicited compliments mean the world to you. Hearing the words, “I love you,” are important—hearing the reasons behind that love sends your spirits skyward. Insults can leave you shattered and are not easily forgotten.

• Quality Time

In the vernacular of Quality Time, nothing says, “I love you,” like full, undivided attention. Being there for this type of person is critical, but really being there—with the TV off, fork and knife down, and all chores and tasks on standby—makes your significant other feel truly special and loved. Distractions, postponed dates, or the failure to listen can be especially hurtful.

• Receiving Gifts

Don’t mistake this love language for materialism; the receiver of gifts thrives on the love, thoughtfulness, and effort behind the gift. If you speak this language, the perfect gift or gesture shows that you are known, you are cared for, and you are prized above whatever was sacrificed to bring the gift to you. A missed birthday, anniversary, or a hasty, thoughtless gift would be disastrous—so would the absence of everyday gestures.

• Acts of Service

Can vacuuming the floors really be an expression of love? Absolutely! Anything you do to ease the burden of responsibilities weighing on an “Acts of Service” person will speak volumes. The words he or she most want to hear: “Let me do that for you.” Laziness, broken commitments, and making more work for them tell speakers of this language their feelings don’t matter.

• Physical Touch

This language isn’t all about the bedroom. A person whose primary language is Physical Touch is, not surprisingly, very touchy. Hugs, pats on the back, holding hands, and thoughtful touches on the arm, shoulder, or face—they can all be ways to show excitement, concern, care, and love. Physical presence and accessibility are crucial, while neglect or abuse can be unforgivable and destructive

So what do you guys think? Anyone have experieence with this? Opening room for discussion...no wrong opinion.....unless you think we should sacrifice a goat to Satan.

• Mythbuster
    Mythbuster

dammit

• elderelite
    elderelite

yep have read it. its very good. Its important to remember too that you may have more than one way you expresses your self. You may have a primary but others will work for you as well. I think anything that helps us understand who we are is valuable, especially coming out of dubbie land where we are boxed and packaged to be "one size fits all Christians".

• Heaven
    Heaven

Yes, I have read it. I think it's good information on how to reciprocate love and how to identify what's missing in your relationship. My ex's counsellor told him to read it before he was my ex.

My ex decided what his primary languages were based on mine. Then his girlfriend went through them and they were different than mine so he changed his to align with hers. Whatever!

It made him think but didn't change anything. He's still a liar.

• AwSnap
    AwSnap

I think its very accurate. My husband read it first, and then I did. He did things for me that he himself would appreciate (acts of service)...unfortunately, those are things that I thought he shouldve been doing anyway. And if I gave him a compliment and wondered why it meant nothing to him, I felt discouraged, especially when he wouldnt reciprocate.

It was very eye opening, and helped us to understand each other better. We get along really well now. If I'm ever feeling like Im not getting the attention I need, I say something like "boy I sure could use one of my love languages right now" and he understands and gives me a big hug or compliment. And I try really, really hard to keep the sink and kitchen clean because I know he appreciates it.

Best wishes

• Voices
    Voices

Hmmm Well see that's the good thing then. If it helps, but i guess efforts gotta be put in by both people.

Me

• clarity
    clarity

Five languages of LOVE .... great! Which one is me, hmmm? OK - all five. I want it all! Imagine going from zero to Five!! I'd be in such shock I'd be passed out all the time! Or df'd for gluttonny. c

• Voices
    Voices

LOL clarity.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I read the book but I couldn't get my hubby to read it...it's in storage right now...oh well

• serendipity
    serendipity

I've read it and felt it would be good for couples to discuss. It could save marriages if put into practice. It works great with kids too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit