Jehovahs Witnesses have a lot more mental problems and much higher suicide rate

by TastingFreedom 37 Replies latest jw friends

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

Very interesting research. Bookmarking for future reference.

• Lunatic Faith
    Lunatic Faith

I was doing some research for a college paper last term and came across this paper by Bergman as well as another that was basically the same. As he was not considered a credible, peer-reviewed, source I could not use him in my paper. So I got on the college database and looked up Jehovah's Witnesses with mental disorders and found other reports by credible scholars and psychologists backing up much of Bergman's claims that JW have high incidences of mental illness. Whether those are born-ins who developed the neuroses from long exposure, isolationist lifestyles, and frontal attacks in the ministry; or are possibly people who are drawn to JW because of their mental illness is yet to be determined. Findings are that many who respond to the message of the JW's and convert are usually those with victim complexes and a desire to come out on top when everyone else dies at armageddon.

• JRK
    JRK

Don't you know that "Jehovah's Witnesses are the Happiest People on Earth?" LOL

JK

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

My problem is that the article is not written from a neutral point of view to quote wikipedia. Rutherford was not a king so he could not reign. The same points would be more effective with less loaded language.

I've always suspected the premise that mentally ill people are drawn to the Witnesses. People find the Witnesses warm and friendly at the beginning. The Witnesses are major stressors.

One thought I had is how much stress comes from the Witnesses being outside mainstream civilization. I felt this keenly as a child. Being mocked is not fun. Mental health is not valued. The Witnesses judgmental nature does not help.

• Balaamsass
  • flipper
    flipper

BTTT, very important thread

• Farkel
    Farkel

: But, the Swedish study, as an example, used those imprisoned for their beliefs.

Indeed. That is similar to Alfred Kinsey using research from incarcerated child-rapists to conclude that pedophilia is a normal and healthy practice in his Kinsey Reports series which became a national best seller. Respected scholars since have thoroughly trashed his research.

Jerry Bergman is probably a nice guy and I would suspect his scholarship has improved since he wrote the book that used the Swedish study. He and I have debated a time or two.

Farkel

• notjustyet
    notjustyet

Marked

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit