Atheist believe there is no God? Yes we do, strongly!

by bohm 139 Replies latest jw friends

• bohm
    bohm

There seem to have been a strong increase in entymological arguments lately, more precisely regarding the term atheist.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/198111/1/Lets-settle-this-for-once-and-for-all-is-atheism-a-belief-a-non-belief-or-an-anti-belief

I have reread the thread and i think i see where it goes very wrong. To quote Essan right at the beginning:

Excuse me if I misunderstand the debate, but isn't atheism the belief that there is no God, which is the polar opposite of belief in God?

Lets try to make it clear. I believe Essan adopt the definitions:

A theist is a person who say: "I believe there is a God"
    An atheist is a person who say: "I believe there is no God"

Essan then continue:

They are both belief systems. A 'negative' belief is still a belief. The atheist asserts a belief: "There is no God", which he can't really prove, much like the Christian.

The above is wrong. The problem in the thread is that it seem that atheists very strongly begin to argue they are being misrepresented; atheism merely mean "without God" or similar, and Essan quite correctly point out that if it really mean that, why do they keep saying they "believe there is no God"? to quote: "Agnosticism, on the other hand, is withholding judgement, whereas both belief in God and atheism both make a judgement without full knowledge."

wrong wrong wrong: Like so many words in english, the word belief has two different meanings.

When a christian say: "I believe there is a God", I am not entirely sure what he mean. The dictionary list "belief" as sononymous with "faith", and it do seem that Essans main complaint is that atheism in, effect, become a faith in no God, which he contrast with agnostisism, which merely say one cannot be sure either way.

That is a complete misuse of the english language.

The archtypical atheist is a scientist who happends not to believe (yes, yes) in God like Dawkins. We must thus assume he use "believe" in the statement "I believe there is no God" in the sence it is defined in science. If we dig, we see it have a very precise definition which is at the center of what science is. So once and for all, here goes:

When a scientist say: "I believe in X" that mean: "I assign relatively high probability to the hypothesis that X is true".

read a fundamental textbook on the subject, I would suggest Jaynes "Probability Theory", and see what i mean. Its a very integrated part of the mathematical/scientific vocabulary. For example, one of the most common inferrence algorithms is known as "belief propagation".

Thus the statement:

"I believe there is no God"

Is really translated into:

"I assign relatively low probability to the hypothesis God exist".

So when we see statements like:

A 'negative' belief is still a belief. The atheist asserts a belief: "There is no God", which he can't really prove, much like the Christian.

Its pretty damn clear that Essan is mixing two different definitions of the same word, and create a completely meaningless sentence. It also mean there is no reason why atheists should fight statements like: "belief in no God", simply because belief is such an integrated part of the scientific vocabulary (i believe the earth is round, i believe there is no pink unicorn..) that we will, eventually, say it by accident leading to much confusion. Rather, we should educate our theistic friends what we mean by the words to avoid confusion.

Returning to the entire atheistic definition thing, yes, atheists believe there is no God. We are not certain there is no God. If thats your definition, certainty (DIFFERENT than belief!), we are all agnostic - but in that case, we are also agnostic with respect to the validity of all scientific theories and observations. I think that is quite a silly position.

• Essan
    Essan

So Bohm, you appear to be saying that:

1) Atheists who absolutely deny the existence of God do not and have never existed.

2) That "Atheism' has never meant the this - "one who denies the existence of God"

3) That people who hold this view have no right to call themselves "atheists" because the label does not apply to them and is not "meant" for them.

These appear to be the implications of the claims you made in your OP. Is that so?

I don't have time to respond in any more depth to you post right now, but I'd be interested to hear your answer.

• bohm
    bohm

Essan:

My point is to clear up the different meanings of the word belief; in particular to point out how atheists (herein defined to be the large group of actual people) use it. Thus i have at no place stated 1), 2) and 3). That is a misunderstanding on your part of what i wrote, and i am sorry if i did not make myself clear.

As for your statements (questions?) - even though they are completely offtopic -

1) such a person would use a different definition than I do of the word. I suppose such a person has existed, but i have yet to meet such a person. At any rate, it is not a scientifc defensible position.

2) Words mean different things and can change their meaning. For example, "ass", "fag", "nigger", "gay person", etc. I am not an expert in this matter, but today i believe atheism, since it is used as a label for a large, vocal and current group, should take the meaning they themselves define it to have.

3) Im not denying anyone the right to free speech, but they are not representive for atheists, nor are they rational.

Now, back to the topic: Belief, and the confusion that word lead to.

• bohm
    bohm

Essan: I want to continue to call myself an atheist because i do not believe in God, and you might want to continue to use the definition you have adopted, namely one who absolutely with 100% certainty deny the existence of God, and call me an agnostic.

Could i convince you to use the word: "atheist2" to denote my position? (or alternatively, "atheist1" to denote yours) for this thread?

ie.: Atheist2: A person who does not believe in God, "believe" being defined as in the topic.

Would you then agree: a) Dawkins is an atheist2 b) it is very hard to defend the position of atheist1, and it would be contrary to usual scientific reasoning?

Secondly, in terms of the above, how do you define an agnostic?

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

bohm

Returning to the entire atheistic definition thing, yes, atheists believe there is no God. We are not certain there is no God. If thats your definition, certainty (DIFFERENT than belief!), we are all agnostic - but in that case, we are also agnostic with respect to the validity of all scientific theories and observations. I think that is quite a silly position.

That was the point I was trying to make to you on the other thread. Most atheists are actually agnostics, Dawkins being a good example.

It looks to me, if I understand what you are trying to say, is that without God, YOU can't "know" anything (for sure) and I agree it's silly and irrational. So why do you hold to it?

• wobble
    wobble

We come down to the fact that labelling people and their opinions is a very difficult science.

I sometimes call myself an Atheist as shorthand for no religion. It would be wrong to say I believe there is no God, but I would have to define what I mean by God,and yet as soon as I use the Atheist label for myself people assume they know what I believe, or don't believe.

What I find annoying about the Theists is their rather childish "You cannot prove there is no God, we cannot prove there is a God, so we are equal"

Intellectually and scientifically we are not equal.

I see no proof for the Gods promulgated by religions. That is what I observe, and measure, the lack of proof,it is not a belief, it is a state of affairs.

Theists believe with no proof (proof in the scientific sense, not emotion). That is belief, or faith.

Atheists do not believe there is no God, they simply are not in a position to believe there is a God because of the absence of proof.

• JWoods
    JWoods
    Atheists do not believe there is no God, they simply are not in a position to believe there is a God because of the absence of proof.

That is what Essen and I (and a dictionary, for that matter) would call an agnostic. There are many in this category, like myself.

A true Atheist actually believes there is no God, and that they can prove it. There are many in this category as well. They are almost always much more evangalistic about this belief than the agnostic.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    A true Atheist actually believes there is no God, and that they can prove it.

I believe there is a God, and I cannot prove it. If I could prove it, I would not need to believe.

BTS

• JWoods
    JWoods
    I believe there is a God, and I cannot prove it. If I could prove it, I would not need to believe.

Many believers in God think that they actually can prove it, although that "proof" may not amount to much of anything to anyone else.

I have a friend who claims to be an atheist (used to be a 7th day adventist, then a Scientologist) - and he claims he has proved there is no God.

Asked him how, and he said he stood on a hill and called out to the sky - "God, I do not believe in you. So, if you exist, then strike me dead right here and now". As he survived it, he congratulated himself on "proving" there is no God. He was serious. I did not comment, as I could not think of anything nice to say about this idiocy.

One of the definitions of agnosticism is that this person believes that the existence of God is in principle unprovable - either positively or negatively.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

A true Atheist actually believes there is no God,

Well sure, a "true Atheist", consecrated under the Reformed Bishop Hitchens at or after the Kyoto Synod. But how many of us are there left, especially after the Great Hotness?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit