How do you handle the wickedness going on today?

by stillin9 33 Replies latest jw experiences

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Badness has been going on for thousands of years. It’s no worse than it used to be – just different.

Also remember, bad news sells. The media gives us all the bad stories because this is what is what will get our attention. They MAY have a good news story. But the rest is focused on what went bad. How many people would watch news about good things only – puppies being born, volunteers helping other people, happy children doing well at school?

In our daily life, we can choose to focus on the good, or the bad. If we focus on the bad, then we will feel sad and discouraged. Instead, focus on what is good and the world will change in our daily lives.

• finallyfree!
    finallyfree!

Media media media. Just as the WTS uses its "media" (ie: books,tracts, dvd's, meetings and assemblies) to control its followers and dictate what one should believe, so our government uses media to keep us the population living the productive little life that keeps the big wheel turning. Evil and wickedness have ALWAYS been around. Look in the bible for scads of examples of evilness and horrible crimes committed against humanity. Like it was pointed out...technology permits us to be bombarded with constant bad news and their so called hurricanes and disasters in one place after another all of a sudden takes on a whole new meaning. Things are not necessarily worse, we just hear a lot more bad things because of the media outlets.

• White Dove
    White Dove

I stop watching the news for a while and keep in mind the Serenity Prayer. It helps a lot. I don't worry by watching the news much, but I don't keep myself in the dark to world events, either.

• Quillsky
    Quillsky

Evolving human society is more civilized right now than it has ever been.

We are fortunate to live in a time when "evil" acts, disease epidemics, natural and man-made disasters, are communicated almost instantly, and acted on in a way that has never before been possible.

• bez
    bez

I agree with everything said here, but also think just cus you are no longer a JW does not mean you cannot believe there is still a 'satan' roving about the earth causing wickedness...hence so much badness.

Just a thought, and something that helps me to cope with the badness...

• XPeterX
    XPeterX

I don't care at all.

• designs
    designs

What you do is pick several Community based charities that address Hunger, and Jobs Training and pitch in.

Be the solution.

• Little Imp
    Little Imp

I understand how you feel. It affected me particularly badly after I gave birth to my first child. I couldn't bear to watch the news for a long time as I felt really worried that I had given birth to a child in a depressing world. At this time I had nothing to do with the witnesses, this came much later.

Having moved on (25 years later) and been attending meetings a little over six years I realize that JWs seem to concentrate on the bad things going on in the world. However, there are a lot of caring, giving people who do a lot to help others less fortunate. They are so busy doing it that they do not have time to stand on a platform telling everyone how much they are doing or have done.

I agree with the others who have posted here the world is no worse than it ever was, it is just better news reporting that we hear about it more these days.

The witnesses are keen to talk about the wicked world but they do nothing to help which has always amazed me, the fact that they are aware and alive to what is going on but do nothing. They say things like "wait on Jehovah" which is a cop out. How do you think he feels seeing that they talk about it and do nothing?

When you look at, for example, The Salvation Army, they don't just preach it they get out there and do something about it. Actions speak louder than words.

It seems to me that the JWs use the bad things going on in the world as a way of catching people's attention to their organisation. Next time they call and they use this as an introduction I think I will ask what THEY are doing about it.

There is a programme on TV in the UK called "The Secret Millionnaire" it is about people from ordinary usually poor backgrounds who through their own efforts and hard work have become millionnaires. They go back to their roots posing as a volunteer worker to help with various charities saying that they are making a programme about the unemployed in that area to explain away the camera crew.

However, they actually use it as a way of seeing where they can make generous donations where the money will really be used for something that will change people's lives as well as physically giving up their time and working with the charities.

These millionaires are sometimes people who may have had a drug or drink problem themselves, overcome it and worked hard and become wealthy. They really understand problems.

This programme always makes me realise that there are people out there doing lots to help others.

LI

• zoiks
    zoiks
    I would not trade this time for any other.

I agree with Beks. There are no "good old days", IMO. Nostalgic fabrication.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

What is "Wickedness"?....does it cause floods in Pakistan or hurricane in Haiti?

No, these are things that have happened before and will do again somewhere . The world is more aware now and due to education and an improved social conscience, we care about them more.

The WTS is guilty of massaging the facts of history to suit themselves . I like to read about the past, social history they call it. Everything that I have read leads me to believe honestly that people are higher principled now than in the past.

The slave trade, the exploitation of child labour, the growth of Empire - all these things show how inhumanely our gt gt grandfathers treated their fellow man if they had the chance. Crime too was rampant along with illiteracy and poverty. There were an awful lot of pregnant brides and children out of wedlock too.

So....No, I do not think that the "World is a more wicked place. It is just human nature and the world spinning on as it always has done..IMHO scriptures like 2 Tim chapt 3 have been used and applied to their times by grumblers of all generations

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit