A Short Introduction............

by Night Owl 50 Replies latest jw experiences

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter
    The key to having a good life having been associated with this organization is to drop all resentment of all past and present associates. It is also advisable to drop resentment you may have against your parents, siblings, workmates, even the waiter at your favorite eating establishment.

I agree with you, but only up to a point.

To me, saying "drop all resentment" comes too close to living in denial. It is important to recognize what has happened, so that (among other reasons) you avoid a similar situation next time.

It also suggests that all blame for everything that happened falls on you. Here again, be honest: accept responsibility for what you really did, while also recognizing what roles others played. They are responsible for what they did just as much as you are for your actions.

Forgiveness is recognizing the situation for all that it is, owning responsibility for your reactions to it, and making that reaction a mature response rather than the seeds of the next wrong. It doesn't mean pretending everything is fine any more than it means holding a perpetual grudge. Often it means saying "I won't let you hurt me again."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit