Why Do Witnesses (and others) Continue to Defend So STRONGLY Things That They Can't Absolutely Prove are True or Exist?

by Crisis of Conscience 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Crisis of Conscience
    Crisis of Conscience

@ ProdigalSon - LOL

@ leavingwt - Actually, you were kind of enough to send me a pdf of it when I first joined here. But I still haven't read it as I've been keeping myself too busy with this site. LOL But it's next on the list. I'm almost done reading Crisis of Conscience.

@ miseryloveselders - The Isrealites of the Bible were a strange bunch to deny what the Bible says they experienced and still deny God. I definitely would be a believer and not question anything if I saw the same things. The FDS has proven nothing to me and obviously now is making it even harder to confide in them.

@ chrisjoel - Thanks for your kind words. I do have a copy of In Search of Christian Freedom and I just thought about your idea a few days ago. Perhaps I'll sneak that chapter in first.

@ Farkel - You are absolutely right. I haven't forgotten how I once felt like that was the foundation to my life. Now, being on the other side, it is just so hard to fathom. I often feel like yelling, "Wake the h#$l UP!!"

@ minimus - Oh how true!!

@ Terry - Nice analogy! I appreciate that!

Thanks everybody for the food for thought!

CoC

• loosie
    loosie

I apply the theory of "he who protests the loudest, is the guilty one" Yeh protest so strongly because they trying to convince themselves that they are right.

Just like that crazy guy here in KS, Fred Phelps keeps protesting gays. I think Fred has not come to terms with his own sexuality to be able to accept others. Fred just needs to come out of the closet, and he'd be done with these protests. ( no offence meant)

• Crisis of Conscience
    Crisis of Conscience

I have been observing how a friend of mine keeps trying to reason with his wife about the absurdness of some of the JW teachings and rules. She has begun to see it and even speak about it to him.

It seems like her walls are coming down. Once that happens, that strong defense sure does weaken quickly!

CoC

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

It's odd how this reminds me of one of the public talks that I used to give about how people are prepared to ignore any scripture or fact that doesn't agree with their beliefs. When I used to go d2d, I used to think, "why can't people see that this is the truth? How can they ignore the proof?" At the same time, I was ignorant and ignoring all the proof that this wasn't the truth.

My only suggestion, CoC, depending on your circumstances and the personalities involved, is to not press someone too much that THEY have to come up with an answer, particularly when dealing with the sisters that by JW rules aren't entitled to think for themselves. For example, rather than a confrontational stand on the duplicity of that Awake! article, I said that the householders would obviously be confused by this article if they're acquainted with the JW DF policy splitting up families. And rather than expect someone to explain and defend "this generation", I remind them that any teaching can and will change with a short paragraph and little clear explanation. Any change can change again in just a couple of years, so don't get too busy defending something that will be "old light" in the next magazine.

I don't know, maybe I'm not aggressive enough, but I just put a fact out there with a "this is something that they/we have to ignore" type of comment and don't press for an answer. I just aim to make them THINK, instead of having to scramble for a defense. Rather than confront them with my more natural anger and frustration, I share a solid fact and make sure that they know that I love them.

• Crisis of Conscience
    Crisis of Conscience

@ Billy the Ex-Bethelite - I completely agree. This is what I have been trying to do when I talk with my wife and exactly what I encourage my friend to do when he talks to his wife. No one likes to feel like they are being attacked. So when they can reach the right conclusion themselves rather than being forced, the results are often positive.

It's difficult once your own walls come down because you just want people to wake up, desperately. But patience truly is the best course. I can see a big difference in my wife as well as how our discussions turn out now. Thanks Billy the Ex-Bethelite.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit