Why I Disagree With Affirmative Action

by snowbird 45 Replies latest social current

• snowbird
    snowbird

QuietlyLeaving asked this of me on another thread:

But snowbird I have to ask you why you disagree with affirmative action. One of the best things about a policy of affirmative action is that an establishement is saying 'you are welcome here' to minorities and that 'we regret that we excluded you in the past'.

While I acknowledge the good that affirmative action has done, QL, I've also been a witness to its downside.

Let me explain: I was once sitting for an examination for a State job, and I overheard a conversation between two other ladies who were also taking the exam.

One commented on how difficult the exam was; the other somewhat flippantly replied that it was ok if they didn't do their best because the State of Alabama is an affirmative action employer. In other words, why sweat it? We're going to be considered anyway, despite whatever score we make.

My heart sank somewhere near my toes. I was so disappointed in them. During the break, I called them on their remarks. They looked at me like I was crazy! At home and at school, I'd always been taught to do my best and not expect any favors - I simply couldn't fathom their nonchalance. I confess, that experience left a sour taste in my mouth.

It left me wondering how many others felt the same way as those two ladies.

Syl

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

Ok, so are taking bets on how long it will take before Wing Commander asks you out on a date Snowbird?

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I am glad to hear you speak out on this, Snowbird.

It is different when someone like you says it.

I do agree.

BTS

• journey-on
    journey-on

Good for you, Snowbird. My feeling is that Affirmative Action had a place at one time. That time and place is gone and well it should be.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

I was watching the Disney film, 'Remember the Titans' this past weekend on a cable channel. In the film, Denzel Washington got upset when he perceived the white coach to be handling the black football players more delicately than the white players. So, his character was not in favor of affirmative action. He went on to explain his reasons. Some of you may recall this scene.

• Dark Side
    Dark Side

Kudos, Snowbird. My respect for you has just gone up a notch

• snowbird
    snowbird

At MLE.

Thanks for the input, Burn and LWT.

Syl

• keyser soze
    keyser soze
    While I acknowledge the good that affirmative action has done, QL, I've also been a witness to its downside.

The downside is when the system is abused. Affirmative action, in theory, was only supposed to give minorities special consideration, providing they were equally qualified. That isn't the case in the scenario you suggested. Sadly, it has been abused frequently. It has become less about giving minorities fair opportunities, and more about companies filling quotas to cover their asses. It has undermined the good that has been done.

• snowbird
    snowbird

At DarkSide.

Agreed, Keyser.

Syl

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

And this is what I said on Sylvia's prior thread:

I can tell you why I disagree with it (not answering for Sylvia), it's because I don't like the assumption that I got the job based on my race or sex instead of my skill and experience. People have assumed that I couldn't read, or write (or add, subtract, multiply,divide, etc...), that I couldn't make a pattern or grade manually or by computer (I'm getting kinda techincal but fashion production is where my skill set and work experience is). And it was funny and slightly disturbing when these people would find out that I really could do the job and then voice their surprise.

I don't raise my children with the expectation of being able to benefit from affirmative action.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit