"Knocking" website - comments in "Talkback" section...

by ziddina 22 Replies latest jw friends

• ziddina
    ziddina

This is probably an old subject, but it's rather new to me...

I never got to see the "documentary", "Knocking", but if others have, maybe you can identify with some of these comments - or with some of the protests also posted to the "Talkback" feedback section on the site...

http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/knocking/talkback_e.html

The comments vary from eager approval to angry disclaimers... Most of the positive comments come - naturally - from active Jehovah's Witnesses...

I found this person's comment - on page 15 - to be most bizarre...

4/25/07
    Hermogenes
    Miami

RE: "In 1995, the Witnesses officially ended their belief that tied the coming of Armageddon to the lifespan of anyone alive today. Now, many young Witnesses attend college."

I‚ve yet to see this film, but i strongly feel that the quote above has been misinterpreted. The Jehovah Witnesses have always & will continue to believe that no one knows the day or the hour that Jehovah God will unleash Armageddon upon the Earth.Biblical Calculation: At least one Holocaust survivor must remain alive in order to witness the destruction of the old system. How old could the youngest survivor of that terror storm be in 2007 ( ? )

Does anyone else find this person's comment to be totally bizarre??? The HOLOCAUST???? WTF????

Zid

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

I do remember some talk of the generation who saw the Holocaust also seeing the GT. I think it tied in to 1914. Nothing official; that I can remember anyway.

• ziddina
    ziddina

And this comment, also on page 15, pretty much says it all about who the Watchtower Society targets...

4/25/07

Thank you for this heartwarming video about kind-hearted, sincere folks who simply seek to do what they feel is right and to help others. At age 19 I chose to become a witness, and now 37 years later I lead a fulfilled, purpose-drive life where I help others. Though our 'knocking' is not welcome by all, we attempt to be respectful... and, to find those who are in need of help. And they ARE out there, isolated, in pain, in need, hungry.

Which explains their preference for WalMart parking lots....

Zid

• ziddina
    ziddina

Hi, Serenity Now!! Thanks for commenting!!

Yeah, nothing 'official' right now, but I wonder...

Do you suppose that the Gov.Bod will change the "Generation" teaching yet again, to match this "Holocaust" belief??? If many JWs already think that's the official stance, it wouldn't take much to co-opt that belief to give them yet more time for "Armageddon" to come...

Zid

• ziddina
    ziddina

(talking to myself in here... Echo! echo......???)

Anyway, I'm mining a lot of "gold" on page 15. Here's a classic case of "cognitive dissonance", in my opinion...

4/25/07
    Brenda
    Lawton Oklahoma

Thank you to PBS for supporting and airing this and other films that show an objective view of people, organizations and the world in general. As one of Jehovah's Witnesses I cringed at some of the comments made in the film but applaud the fact that it showed the reality of what people both in and out of this organization think...

Additionally I would like to address one of the comments made by another that had nothing to do with the film. They stated "The practice of allowing pedophiles to continue to associate with children is reprehensible." JWs expel unrepentant wrong doers of all kinds instead of allowing hypocrisy. Accused pedophiles even if repentant are not allowed to have any privileges of service within the organization. As a victim of abuse myself I appreciate the stand this organization has taken to protect the people within it.

Either the elders in her congregation were shining examples of integrity, who showed an unusually high level of concern for the VICTIM, rather than the paedophile...

Or she just cannot tolerate a full-on view of the reality, and is looking at it through rose-colored glasses... Does this woman not understand; just because they've taken away the "privileges of service" from a paedophile, it doesn't prevent him from targeting - and attacking - other victims....

Zid

• ziddina
    ziddina

There's also the occasional Jehovah's Witness practicing "Theocratic Warfare", and pretending to be a NON-JW, like this one....

4/25/07
    Albert S.
    Wethersfield, CT

The "Independent Lens" series is one of my favorite things on television, consistently bringing interesting programs and featuring compelling stories. I'm not a Jehovahs Witness myself, but its hard to miss the impact they've had on preconceived notions about Nazi camp techniques and Supreme Court law. What more do I need to know?

Based on this impressive website, there is a LOT more to this religion! My family already plans to watch "Knocking" on PBS, and I anticipate buying the DVD sometime after than. I'm guessing I'll enjoy lending in out to my less tolerant acquaintances! Thanks for a really detailed website on this film!

"I'm not a Jehovah's Witness myself..." Oh, really??? Then why make THIS comment, a few sentences down: "I'll enjoy lending in [it; the video] out to my less tolerant acquaintances!"...

"...less tolerant acquaintances..." What "worldly" person would describe their co-workers that way????

Zid

• ziddina
    ziddina

"Abstain from blood..."

Here's an interesting quote - again - page 15

By refusing blood it has forced the medical community to step up and come up with better techniques and methods of operations and so on. I know it is controversial but it is spelled out so clear to abstain from blood...

Yeeessss, but if that's true, and the Watchtower Society is conforming to the bible's commands, then WHY are Jehovah's Witnesses NOW ALLOWED to have blood fractions and plasma, among other components of blood???

That's one thing that bugs me, every time I read about the Watchtower Society and the controversy over their anti-blood-transfusion stance - the New Testament ITSELF clearly states to "ABSTAIN from blood", which - to my way of thinking - would place all forms of blood transfusions 'off-limits' for ALL Christians...

Glad I'm a "Neo-PolyTheist"!!

Zid

• ziddina
    ziddina

Now, here's a young lady (??) with her head on straight, who tells the [UN"theocratic-warfare] truth!!!

4/25/07
    Brighton

My parents became JW's when I was about 5 years old. I was baptised in 1980 at the age of 16. They have been turbulent years , interspersed with happiness and alot of sadness. I know many who have been disfellowshipped, myself included.Of those that have been disfellowshipped, 2 have committed suicide. Three others committed suicide while still active.The WTS claims that repentant persons, can be reinststed, and while this is true. The process can itself be painful and humiliating and usually takes a year or longer, with persons required to cease all association with non Witnesses, while attending meetings with no-one being allowed to speak to you or associate with you until reinstatement. It means sitting at the back of the Kingdom Hall durring meetings and not being allowed to participate - the shunning continues untill sufficient time passes and the Elders decide , that they are satisfied that there is enough outward proof of repentance.So one is completely isolated until then, the loneliness can be unbearable. Witnesses claim this is biblical and that the wrondoer brings this hardship upon themselves. How differnt to the story of the prodigal son, and the father who runs to meet him, while he is yet along way off!

Wonder if this person it posting on here....??

• ziddina
    ziddina

I've read a few other comments along this line, but this is the clearest statement, so far...

5/1/07
    Bette Witt
    Oakwood, PA

Having seen the documentary twice - I can say with certainty that Jehovah's Witnesses and their parent organization, The Watchtower Bible & Tract Society, have NEVER intended to support the freedom of religion and press of general populations. Any court cases that might have benefited others, was FIRST intended to support and benefit their own organizaion.They have no interest in providing legal help or assistance to any group outside their own organization, unless it primarily benefits them.

Too true, too true....

Zid

• ziddina
    ziddina

I just love it when I hear teen-aged JWs issuing death threats, even if they're vicarious....

5/3/07
    Vanessa
    Auburn, WA

I am 18 years old and as a teenager, being a Jehova's Witness was the best thing that i could have done, and will ever do in my life. I read a comment stating that we only believe in Jehova and not Jesus...wow do they have there facts wrong! We DO believe in Jesus! He is our savior but who created him? Yes, Jehova did, and thats why he is the only one and only who can recive all the honor! I love Jehova with all my heart and an strongly believe that he will bring justice the this cruel world and to all who dont believe, ...and to all who dont believe, all i can say that they will be just like the people who choose not to listen to Noah in his time, they choose not to listen to the message that jehova had sent him. And they vanished in the great flood! Just like cruel people will too in the NEAR future!

What a 'loving' organization... Teaching the children to hate and gloat...

Zid

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit