the new generation teaching predicted circa 1991 !!!!!!!!

by elderelite 18 Replies latest watchtower bible

• rocketman
    rocketman

Good find, elderelite, good find. Interesting indeed.

• sir82
    sir82
    Nowdays the idea is that generations overlap only once not many times... What Schroder suggested was manytime overlap

Don't worry....sometime around 2025 - 2030 that idea ("many time overlap") will make it into the WT.

The "New Light New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures" will be modified to read: "This generation [that knew the generation that knew the generation that knew the generation that saw the events of 1914] will not pass away before all these things occur"

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

With all due respect to Ray Franz, most anyone with a half of a brain (outside of the WT) could see that some kind of change had to come.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

The idea of applying the 'generation' to the 'anointed' came from the Rutherford era, from 1927. Perhaps Schroeder recalled it.

It's clear from Franz's comments above that when the 'generation' was subsequently attached to anyone who was around in 1914 and that these people as a group would not pass away before the GT occurred, the leadership understood this teaching had a shelf life and would eventually become an albatross round their necks as time went on.

A penny dropped for me when I read this in the June 15, 2010 WT, p.5 - the Annual Meeting Report:

"Brother Barr made clear that the gathering [of the 'sons of the kingdom' - wheat and weeds parable ~Ann] would not continue indefinitely. He referred to Matthew 24:34, which says: 'This generation will by no means pass away until all these things occur.' He twice read the comment: 'Jesus evidently [LOL ~A] meant that the lives of the anointed ones who were on hand when the sign began to be evident in 1914 would overlap with the lives of other anointed ones who would see the start of the great tribulation.' We do not know the exact length of 'this generation,' but it includes these two groups whose lives overlap. Even though the anointed vary in age, those in the two groups constituting the generation are contemporaries during the part of the last days. How comforting it is to know that the younger anointedcontemporaries of those older anointed ones who discerned the sign when it became evident beginning in 1914 will not die off before the great tribulation starts!"

*Ting* This is what they've done (I'm slow sometimes!):

The 'generation of 1914' became untenable (15 yrs before 1914, then 10, then 0, then ... yikes) so they ditched it in 1995, detaching 'the generation' from any start date, thereby creating a void in end times urgency.

Now the 'generation of 1914' has been upgraded and reloaded. Now it's the younger 'anointed' members of the 'generation of 1914' that will not pass away, with their start date being anywhere after 1914 just so long as they were overlapping with the ones living before 1914. IOW, it's FDS/GB #2 that won't pass away before the GT begins. Like the pre-1995 teaching in its early days, some extra time has been bought, but the clock's counting down again and, paradoxically, it gives the illusion of urgency amongst the R&F.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    With all due respect to Ray Franz, most anyone with a half of a brain (outside of the WT) could see that some kind of change had to come.

Yeah in 1988 I was debating with a friend which way the change would go (and we were only "questioning" at the time).

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

Interesting. It's so very frustrating that I'm the only one in my family who sees this "new light" for what it is, buying themselves more time, while giving them a sense of urgency. If that makes any sense, it doesn't.

It will change again, and again.........

• JWoods
    JWoods
    Yeah in 1988 I was debating with a friend which way the change would go (and we were only "questioning" at the time).

At the final meeting I had with their elders in about 1980, I told them that they had painted themselves into a corner over this "generation" prophectic teaching and would have to change it.

Of course, I got that idea from discussing the issue with Marion and Ed Dunlap, who were in turn in contact with Ray Franz.

They accused me of "making a prophecy".

Looks like I was right - along with Franz Jr. and the Dunlaps. And anybody else inside it with have a brain post 1975.

• palmtree67
  • Albert Einstein
    Albert Einstein

TITUS:

I am an active JW.

Can I tell you what that doctrine is?

BULLSHIT!

Titus, please help me to understand your position on WTBS. I do not mean it bad, but you confuse me all the time...

For this statement you would be DF by WTBS and thus sentenced to death in eyes of JHVH. At the same time you support WTBS...

Are you one or two persons?

Albert

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit