Short Intro

by ZeusRocks 33 Replies latest jw experiences

• ZeusRocks
    ZeusRocks

Hi Everyone,

I can only say I'm new here in the sense I've just been able to join. I have actually followed this forum for over a year now. I've tried joing several times but must have been doing something wrong, so I thought I'd try one more time and it finally worked.

I was a born-in JW. I was born on the Godl Coast, Australia in 1975. Both my parents and their families have been and some still are in the "truth". My parents divorced when I was 4. My father remarried when I was 6. I lived with my mother until I was 7 then went to live with my father and his wife. I stayed with them for a year before going back to mum, who had by then moved to Sydney with my sister who is 18 months younger than I. Mum remarried when I was 8. She had by then been disfellowshipped without any warning, reason, or meeting with the elders. An elder came to her door and told her she was disfellowhipped and gave her no reason for it. This was right before my father got remarried.

The man mum married ended up being a violent drunk and we all endured him for a further 4 years, before she finally had the courage to leave him. We had moved to Melbourne with him after they married and my sister and I would visit my father and other family every year. Of course while there we would go to meetings and be on our best behaviour. Because of our upbringing, by the time we moved to Melbourne we were indoctrinated enough in childhood to continuously reaffirming our beliefs without even having to go to meetings or study except when we saw our dad. Hence, when I was I was 14 years old, a witness came to our door (the first one I'd come across since moving to Melbourne), and I started a study. We moved around a lot and my sister and I studied with many different people.

I never progressed to baptism, I came close several times but something just always held me back. Whenever I'd had questions, like any good JW, I learned to ignore or and give the party line "wait on Jehovah". Saying that, I studied for about 20 years. I'd studied with your run of mill brothers, Ministerial servants and 2 elders. I went through the Live Forever book twice, Mankind's Search for God, The Truth the Leads to Everlasting Life, Greatest Man book, Draw Close to Jehovah and the James book. And still all that wasn't enough to get my heart moving enough to get baptised.

Long story short, I'm out (in more ways than one), I'm free to think for myself and research things I would like to find answers to. I'm not at all religious anymore, I don't take assertions at face value anymore, especially after realising my entire view of a god and world view is based on nothing but interpretation on an ancient book that is based on hearsay.

I've rambled on enough for now. I'll probably tell more as time goes on and answer questions you might have. I'm not exactly sure of there are post limits when you first join or not. So I will leave it at that for now.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Welcome to the board.

Glad to hear you slipped through the briar patch.

• StoneWall
    StoneWall

ZeusRocks welcome to the forum!!

Nice intro and glad you didn't give up on joining the forum even though it seems it wasn't easy for you to get on.

Oh and by the way, I like your screen avatar. I've got that game that the pic came from and just seeing it makes me want to go play Age of Mythology again.

Looking forward to hearing more from you in the future.

• wobble
    wobble

Big Welcome ZeusRocks !

Your biog. was interesting, I guess in all those years of studying, in the back of your mind you must have thought "So much of this does not add up"

I am glad that the WT has not left you with any permanent damage, some never get over their experience.

I enjoyed your other post on another thread where you expose the silliness of the concept of original sin, and how the Bible should be viewed, well expressed and should help lurkers to think straight.

I look forward to many more contributions from you, welcome again !

• bohm
    bohm

Wellcome!

• Dold Agenda
    Dold Agenda

Welcome!

What about you sisters mind about JW today?

• ZeusRocks
    ZeusRocks

Thanks for the welcome.

I was messed up for years. Depression was enormous to the point sometimes I could not function. Yet I still went to meetings and out in field service as much as possible. I've only been out now for a little over 2 years and I'm now feeling really settled in myself and the world I'm part of.

I lived with my sister at the time and would sometimes share what I was learning and get her opinion. She hadn't gone to meetings for a while but still considered it the truth. Her breaking point came when she found out about the Watchtowers association with the UN and there lame 'library card' explanation. For her, that was the height of hypocrasy. That one act showed her they were not jehovahs people.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    I never progressed to baptism

Yes........

Cool.......

Nice one buddy........

We need more of us........

Cheers

Chris

• Think About It
    Think About It

ZeusRocks...........welcome to the board. Glad you can finally post.

Think About It

• zzaphod
    zzaphod

Welcome to the forum ZeusRocks, it was very interesting reading your biography, Im glad that you are settled with your life now.

Thanks for sharing your story.

All the best

Paul UK

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit