Responding to personal questions

by Lady Lee 34 Replies latest forum announcements

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Great advice. I am both fairly careful plus confident in the relative stupidity of my former associates, fortunately. The challenge is to not get overconfident and let too much info slip.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    confident in the relative stupidity of my former associates

This here merits an LOL!

Syl

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Seriously, Sylvia. The body of elders in my old congregation has exactly one guy whose IQ is likely to be over 100.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I know, Mad.

My sister, who long ago DA'd, used to say, "How can any group of people be so monumentally stupid?"

Since leaving, I've asked myself that question numerous times.

I also ask, "How could I have been so stupid as to go along with it?"

Syl

• Mall Cop
    Mall Cop

Lady Lee, I sent you a message some time ago with my cell phone number, did you get it?

Blueblades / Mall Cop

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Blue Yes I did and I sent it along to Simon. Contact him to resolve the problem or Angharad

• gubberningbody
    gubberningbody

Good advice.

Piecing together information together like this is what's known as an "inference attack".

A casual remark on state, and now they know the state.

A casual remark on an event, and the city is known.

I'm a runner and if I told you that I ran a 5k last week and did it in 17:15, then knowing the two above you could get my name, and a picture...

If you have the right information, even if it's anoymized you can derive a lot.

Date of birth + sex + zip code revealed in medical information can be enough to compromise medical data associating a perticular person with treatment.

Buy an item online and that seller knows things about you.

You have to think about everything much more deeply these days if you care about your privacy/safety.

• blondie
    blondie

I recognized a couple of people from my past on JWN....I try to keep any info vague or general (and sometimes, without factual basis) about myself. In the end, the elders can make any inferences they want and make accusations and they can be crap, but it is their game, their rules.

But still be careful.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

It is easy for even experienced posters to get 'caught up in the moment' and hit the submit button too soon. Blondie is right, be careful.

Lady Lee, you have a PM.

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone

I have also identified someone as living in my area from a comment on a thread and consequently met up with them.

It's very easy to do. If you don't want to be identified, please be careful!

GGG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit