Sexism and the Organization

by brotherdan 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

I know this may be a touchy subject, but it's something that I think has been so obvious for the last few weeks at the meetings. Let me start by saying that I do understand the "headship" arrangement, and agree that it is biblical.

But it seems that the tendency is to take it WAY too far. Whenever speaking about training children, I've noticed that the boys are told to be trained by their fathers in various types of work, including trades. Girls are told to be trained by their mothers to do the cooking and cleaning. It's rarely, if ever, mentioned that boys could be trained to cook, and girls could be taught how to do various other types of work (such as carpentry, mechanics, etc...)

I'm not sure if this is something anyone else has noticed. But it seems to me to be another example of the WT taking something biblical and going beyond what is written.

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

Girls are told to be trained by their mothers to do the cooking and cleaning. It's rarely, if ever, mentioned that boys could be trained to cook, and girls could be taught how to do various other types of work (such as carpentry, mechanics, etc...)

You know...the bible does talk about Jesus making food for thousands of people but never mentioned him building a house.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Noted, Bro Dan.

What used to irk me really bad was how WT always made references to men and jobs, as if women didn't work!

My oldest daughter is almost 37; I've worked since she was 7 months old - had to do it.

I've bought a house, cars, and sent 2 daughters to school.

Men and secular employment, indeed!

Syl

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

Men and secular employment, indeed!

Hey now. I don't have a job right now. But I am looking. And I am doing carpentry on the side to keep some money coming in.

• snowbird
    snowbird

LOL at NVL.

You are one funny dude!

*calming down some*

Syl

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Yeah, my point is that it seems like the organization pushes the whole alpha male thing. Don't get me wrong. I work full time and my wife stays home with the kids, and I love it that way. I love that our kids have their mom all the time. But by the org focusing on this so much it seems to me that it would make people that do not live this way feel like they are not doing something right. Or men that stay home and women that work are less than a man or woman should be.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    But by the org focusing on this so much it seems to me that it would make people that do not live this way feel like they are not doing something right.

Exactly.

I had a sorry excuse for a husband, first marriage.

I dumped him and made my own way for myself and daughter.

I never went on government assistance, or asked others for any help.

I resented being made to feel like I was lacking in some way.

Syl

*getting heated again*

• NiceDream
    NiceDream

Great point NVL, Jesus also cooked fish on the beach for breakfast.

At the DC, my fav point was for women to talk to their husbands at a good time and bring them a glass of lemonade! It was such a wholesome point.

Another elder was asked what happens when his wife wants to talk to him because he's busy...and he smugly said "she makes an appointment!" The audience burst into laughter, and the guy looked all proud. I felt they made women look a bit stupid. Marriage can be a partnership based on love, not power.

Men are told they are the head of the house, but sadly in my age group, men seem to be too tired when they get home to take the lead. If women don't take the reins, sometimes things won't get done.

Helping out around the house is like foreplay! If men learn that, they'll be really happy.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

NiceDream,

Maybe we went to the same convention. I heard the "bring your husband a glass of lemonade" before talking to him too. How sad if that was actually part of the manuscript...

• snowbird
    snowbird

Yeps, I heard and saw a lot of stupid stuff, too.

I knew one lady who would ask her husband which size eggs to buy!

No lie.

Syl

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit