Observations since the book study arrangement finished

by truthseeker 43 Replies latest jw friends

• AGuest
    AGuest
    Gone are the interesting comments...

Which is probably the point, anyway, dear Yknot (peace to you!). You could "get away" with asking... and saying... things at the BS that you can't at the KH. BS Conductors had a kind of "this little part of the flock is mine" thing goin' on and so made allowances that would never be tolerated in the KH. Now, I can see where "they" have even more control - no more "free thinking" on ANY level without someone getting wind of it.

But that is, after all, the life of the slaves... of men. Can't even THINK what you want to, 'cause someone might here you ("Oh, ummm... did I say that out loud??).

But no worries - most of those folks are LOVING it. Jeremiah 5:26-31

Again, peace to you!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• thenoblelodge
    thenoblelodge

I agree with YKnot and Sabastious, it's probably to stop ones getting together and discussing the noo light in relaxed surroundings. Nothing gets the tongue looser than a cup of coffee and a choccy bicky.

I know when the brothers were disfellowshipped from Bethel last year, everyone was told NOT to get together to do personal study anymore.

You know what they say, if you read the bible independently you will be an apostate within two years. I only read Galations and I could see that they were the apostates lol

• MrMonroe
    MrMonroe

Isn't it odd that we're all left to surmise on the real reason they ditched the Thursday meeting. Any time the "org" made a decision -- change literature to a donation basis, shorten the Sunday public talk -- it always became a guessing game of the real reason, because you'd guarantee they'd never ever, ever say. Any decision was always cloaked with such super-spiritual, pious reasoning that you knew they were covering something up.

Why was it that they could never be honest and open with everyone? Why was there always an understanding that there were always no-go areas in conversations? We all knew that some things were the province of "the brothers" or "the society" and could never be discussed, let alone questioned.

• St George of England
    St George of England

Most JW's I know really miss the Book Study on Tuesday. We had an afternoon study, mainly for the retired, and after the study we had tea, coffee, cakes etc and for an hour or so sat around and relaxed and chatted.

I think it was the relaxed chatting that is the danger. Encourage too many people to start and think.

George

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

They do constantly badger the R&F about Family Worship evening now though, so as to make a point about not forgetting it and trying to guilt anyone having a night off.

Personally Im very glad for the night off, and when I get badgered about what I'm studying on that night I say with honesty that I read the bible every day so why should I do anything special on that night between 7pm and 9pm?

Reasons for the change as above, control control control. Nothing to do with price of fuel and personally I find it insulting to my intelligence that they rolled that out as an excuse for the change.

I know some do 30 minutes of looking stuff up in the Insight volume, but no real thought or research beyond that, some do do the Family Worship thing with effort for the kids etc and some just take the night off so it's a mixed bag.

Cheers

• Desilusionnee
    Desilusionnee

I know when the brothers were disfellowshipped from Bethel last year...

Where did that happened thenoblelodge?

Desi

• VM44
    VM44

When did The Watchtower first start having official meetings in people's homes?

• thenoblelodge
    thenoblelodge

@Desi London Bethel and Mill Hill cong last year.

• Nostromo
    Nostromo

Thenoblelodge, you have a pm

• moomanchu
    moomanchu
    Well they said it was because of gas prices.....

My mom and dad said at the time.

"the society knows something is coming! They know things about the future, gas prices will really be going up !! We are really close to the end !!!! You better come back before it's to late!!"

Now they say " I never said that"

What about goodie night???

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit