My daughter asked me this today.

by thenoblelodge 57 Replies latest watchtower bible

• thenoblelodge
    thenoblelodge

She asked me why God didn't step in to stop tragedies. For example, recently twin baby girls were attacked in their cots while their parents were down stairs. Both suffered life changing injuries.

My daughter knows a couple who have waited years for a baby and eventually had I.V.F. The babies were born at 27 weeks and because of that they have disabilities, cerebral palsey, deafness etc,. The new mom says she can't understand why this has happened to her, to her babies.

What about Children that are abused... I could go on but I think you get the picture.

My daughter wants to know if God is real and has the power to stop these bad things, why doesn't he. She doesn't mean bring an end to mankind but just step in and stop these things happening (bit like Superman I think).

She left the Org when she was 18 years old and one of the reasons was because of this question.

What are your thoughts... In a way I'm dreading thislol

• superpunk
    superpunk

Epicurus put that nicely centuries ago, unfortunately there is no satisfactory religious answer to it.

All attempts to reconcile God's inaction with his existence and power either make God look like a monster, or incompetent.

What's worse is when privileged Christians claim that "God has answered their prayers" for something trivial like a new job or something while children in war-torn countries are losing limbs to land mines. What? The almighty had time to get you a job interview but couldn't manage to make that little girl step a few feet to the right?

The question of suffering is irreconcilable with the concept of a loving, omnipotent God imo.

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

indeed, where has god been for all of these atrocities?

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

God is:

A) a heartless SOB

B) an incompetent dumbass

C) nonexistent

The choices all kind of suck but that's what we're left with.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

#1 on my list is birth defects

#2 on my list is "natural" disasters

these things get my blood boiling.

god, can you punish justly? what does a newborn do so bad?

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Thenoblelodge,

Have her ask God herself, truly ask with the desire to know, not with any preconcieved ideas oen way or another.

There is no answers that WE can give that will satisfy her, but perhaps Jesus can answer her question.

I know that I asked that question more times than I care to remember and only when I asked without anger or shame or spite in my heart did God answer back.

Of course it may be different for her and I hope it is, my path was one I wouldn't wish on anyone.

If she believes that God is a God of Love or at least that potential for belief is there, then I think she may find her way, I hope she does, truly.

• Olin Moyles Ghost
    Olin Moyles Ghost

Universal sovereignty, right? *sigh*

A poster above referenced Epicurus who stated:

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

I'm kind of disappointed in some of you guys. You hate what the WT did to you, but you still hold on to your bitterness. The Bible does answer these questions.

In Jesus day there was a horrible tragic event that obviously shook up a lot of people. Jesus brought it up in Luke 13:4. The 18 that died were no better nor were they any worse than any other person. But accidents happen, and God lets life take a natural course. I believe that MANY who think their prayers for protection were answered are not looking at things accurately.

CAN God protect us? Yes. Does he always? No.

You can either be horribily sad that these kids died, or you can realize what has actually happened to them. Right NOW they are happier than they have ever been. God knows the difference between temporary happieness and long term happiness. Could he have stopped them from dying? If that was necessary, yes. But where are they now? Matthew 18:3 shows that the Kingdom of Heaven belongs to...CHILDREN. All of us adults can only hope to be as innocent as these precious children.

So while I will never say "God took these kids" or "God needed them as angels". I will say that they are now in heaven with Jesus living a wonderful life, and will be there to welcome their parents when their parents die faithfully or are caught up in the wind when Jesus comes. That is my honest answer. Anyone that says "No one can know what happened to them" should be ashamed.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Sorry...I wasn't aware the kids didn't die. However, the principle still applies. I think God is with the handicapped more than the normal person anyway. They can still have a happy relationship with god regardless.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

When I look at the answers of Mad Sweeny and superpunk, it makes me so furious at the WTS. This is what is bred when you drive people away from truth like you do! Shame on you!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit