mentions of going to heaven in the Bible?

by AwSnap 67 Replies latest watchtower bible

• AwSnap
    AwSnap

Please help me with this. I have been reading the Bible for the first time in my life. What my viewpoint on it is not the issue. I am SHOCKED as to the things I have been reading. I have been reading from Genesis on, and am now in 1 Corinthians. I cannot believe how blatent the Bible is that ALL PEOPLE WHO HAVE FAITH IN JESUS AND HIS FATHER will be going to heaven....according to the Bible. It's been quite a challenge, but I'm reading from the NWT and the NIV. Of course, I've really enjoyed the NIV more. I'll see things in the NIV and think, "wow, really? There's no way it says this in the NWT." But it does! Its also shocking how the NWT changes their words on so many verses (why did they take out the word "grace"?)

Anyway, back onto my question:

While I read so many verses regarding this, I didn't write it down. The main one that is sticking in my head is Matthew 8:11 (New World Translation)-

But I tell YOU that many from eastern parts and western parts will come and recline at the table with Abraham and Isaac and Jacob in the kingdom of the heavens;

I checked it out in the WT Library CD & it says that Jesus was obviously meaning Jehovah, Jesus, and the spirit begotten Christian congregation. WTF. Seriously, if anyone can help me understand how they came to this conclusion, I'd appreciate it. The whole area surrounding this discussion, Jesus was not using metephors or examples or parables....so how'd they come to that conclusion? Its bonkers.

Can you think of other scriptures that say we are ALL going to heaven (not just 144,000). And its been awhile...can you refresh my memory: What scriptures do the jw's use to say that people will live on earth forever?

Thanks in advance

• AwSnap
    AwSnap

There are not many references to this scripture in the WT Library. This one is from 1978. 9/1 pg 28. I do not understand what this means.

When Jesus ascended to heaven and appeared in Jehovah’s presence, he offered to Jehovah his “blood” or the value of it as a redemption price. (Heb. 9:12-14; John 6:61, 62) Since the blood belonged to Jehovah, the drinking of it and the eating of the flesh of Jesus would indicate having a meal with Jehovah. God would thus be sharing the blood of his Lamb Jesus Christ with the disciples of this Lamb. Jesus spoke of such a meal with Jehovah as the Greater Abraham, when he foretold that many Gentile believers (like the believing Gentile “army officer”) would come from all parts of the earth and “recline at the table with Abraham [Jehovah] and Isaac [Jesus Christ] and Jacob [the spirit-begotten Christian congregation] in the kingdom of the heavens.”—Matt. 8:5-12.

• designs
    designs

Advise- take theology with a grain of salt...............very small grain at that.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

AwSnap, that is simply an attempt to symbolize Abraham, Isaac and Jacob as Jehovah, Jesus and the 144,000. Otherwise, the scripture is saying that 3 OT persons will be in heaven, and the Wt teaches only those after Jesus went to heaven.

Take a look at Luke 13:28

28 “There will be weeping there, and gnashing of teeth, when you see Abraham, Isaac and Jacob and all the prophets in the kingdom of God, but you yourselves thrown out. 29 People will come from east and west and north and south, and will take their places at the feast in the kingdom of God. 30 Indeed there are those who are last who will be first, and first who will be last.”

This account the WT does not symbolize the characters, but they are literal. And the Wt claims this is talking about life on earth under the kingdom. Why the different interpretation? Because there is an other character in the Luke account whom the WT does not know how to identify- all the propehts. So they never speak of both scriptures at the same time- lest a witness make the connection and realize what the WT is trying to do.

Rev 19:1 says the great crowd is in heaven.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

awSnap, check your pm....in a few mins

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Matthew 25:34; Philippians 3:20; Hebrews 11:13-16 are a few more.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

AwSnap

Can you think of other scriptures that say we are ALL going to heaven (not just 144,000). And its been awhile...can you refresh my memory: What scriptures do the jw's use to say that people will live on earth forever?

The funny thing about the 144,000 is that according to the bible they are on earth. Look at Rev chapters 7 and 14. In Rev 4:2 the throne is in heaven. Now look at where the Great multitude is in Rev 7:9.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

JW verse for life on earth

Ps 37:29

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

My answer to Dub family about Ps. 37:29 is that there are ALREADY people on earth NOW and that even in their OWN scriptural interpretations there ALWAYS will be. This verse speaks of the living and makes NO mention about dead people and their future resurrection destination.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

good point MS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit