What books, songs, artists, movies, etc were banned in your JW home?

by serenitynow! 77 Replies latest jw friends

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

My mom used to go through my music and throw my rap cassettes in the trash. There used to be a college radio station in the city I live. On Friday nights, they played hip hop. Mind you, this is the late 80's, early 90's, and this was during my preteen and teenage years. At this time, gangsta rap as some call it, was just starting to become popular. This college radio station would only play the west coast gangsta stuff after midnight. Then the program would go off at 1am, and alternative rock played afterwards. I used to act like I was going to bed early. The reality is, I had the light off in my room, and headphones attached to my radio, so my folks couldnt hear me getting my first taste of NWA, Ice Cube, Scarface, Ice-T, Above The Law,DJ Quik, Compton's Most Wanted, amongst other artists. Back then I wasn't of working age, and I couldn't realistically ask my folks for 10 bucks to buy the kind of music being played after midnight. So I would take my folks Jazz casettes, or old soul and Motown casettes. I'd stick tape or paper over the little slots in the top of the casettes. By doing that, you could tape over those cassettes as if it were a blank cassette. Mom would think I was listening to Sam Cook or The Spinners in my walkman. Meanwhile I was listening to NWA or Ice-T. When I got older and started working, and buying my own music, my mom would periodically "clean house." Everytime I'd get a sizeable collection, she'd toss the stuff. She'd toss the non-gangsta music too. Back then let the WTS tell it, ALL RAP WAS FILTHY, which was BS. Gangsta just happened to be popular at the time and gave the rest of the culture a bad rap, no pun intended. A couple times I would dig threw the garbage when nobody was around and reclaim my music.

Surprisingly, in the house I grew up in, fantasy movies weren't frowned upon. My dad was a huge into Sabu, The Flying Carpet, The Jungle Story, etc.. He also liked things like Conan, Red Sonja, Clash of the Titans, etc.. Its funny to because he's stated to me, "these kids are watching demonized entertainment like that Harry Potter!" Meanwhile one night I went to visit the folks, and he was watching one of the Lord of the Rings! Gotta love it.

I never had too much trouble with video games in the house. My folks couldnt stand the noise and music from Street Fighter II, Mortal Kombat, Doom, etc.. Immediatley after hearing Ryu on SF II yell, "Ha Du Ken" several times, my dad would yell out, "turn that mess down!!!" An Elder came over my folks pad when I was a teenager, and saw me playing Doom. He asked me whether true Christians should play such games. I agreed at the time, probably not. I threw the game away, only to dig threw the trash a couple days later and get it back. I loved Doom back then!! I guess the dog really does return to its vomit, and the sow to her mire.

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

Dungeons and Dragons, HeroQuest, any of those RPG type games that has "sorcery". Magic cards. For music anything labeled "Heavy Metal" and anything labeled "Gangsta Rap". Then for video games the only one that was known was Mortal Kombat so that was banned.

• pirata
    pirata

When I was a kid:

G.I. Joe (Violence)

Transormers (Violence)

Care Bears (Magic tummies)

Smurfs (Demonized)

Super Mario Bros 3 (Ghosts)

Gummi Bears (Demonized)

Ducktales (Materialism) Briefly banned, but I reasoned that Huey, Duey and Louie showed their Uncle Scrooge that their's more to life than just money.

Star Trek (Violence)

• Sapphy
    Sapphy

He-man was a no-no because of Skeletor. Dallas and Dynasty were banned as was any other soap opera.

The Waltons and Little House OTP were almost compulsory viewing,

• Kinjiro
    Kinjiro

SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER anyone? Disco music in general but that movie... I heard endless local needs discussions regarding the movie...

Procter & Gamble products...

Once I received as a gift the "8 ball" (dont remember the correct name) the one that you shake and turn upside down to get an answer to your question... my father threw that thing so hard that is still must be orbiting the planet!

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

"Procter & Gamble products..."

I never heard this one. What's that about?

• Mythbuster
    Mythbuster

I had to look this one up myself.

Proctor & Gamble's Old Man in the Moon

We receive mail from time to time asking us if Proctor & Gamble (P&G), the maker of many well-known soap and detergent products, is a satanic organization. Inquirers frequently call our attention to P&G's curious logo.

In fact, I have no evidence whatsoever that Proctor & Gamble is linked with Satanism. The constant rumor that the president of this huge company once went on a major TV talk show and professed to being a member of the Church of Satan has definitely been proven to be false. The company believes that rumor was begun by corporate competitors.

Strangely, however, Proctor & Gamble has for years stubbornly refused to toss out its logo of an old man in the moon surrounded by 13 stars. Some people suspect that the stars represent the occultic number 13, and the belief is that they were arranged to roughly appear as a 6, the number of the beast of Revelation 13. What seem to be two horns come out of the old man's head.

Proctor & Gamble vigorously denies the accusations, contending that the horns are merely curls of hair. And the 13 stars? According to Proctor & Gamble, they represent the original 13 colonies of the U.S.A. The man in the moon, a company spokesman claims, also honors the original colonies.

In 1992, Proctor & Gamble decided to slightly revise its bizarre and troublesome logo. A corporate spokesman announced that the curls (or horns?) were being softened artistically. Other minor changes were also made, ostensibly to alleviate concerns. But rumors and questions still remain.

In any case, soap-maker Proctor & Gamble has filed lawsuits against several people believed to be responsible for spreading the allegations of devilism. But, in at least one of the lawsuits, the company raised eyebrows when the news came out that Proctor & Gamble was seeking exactly $66,600 in damages!

• cantleave
    cantleave

My mother had spats of throwing out music. Any wordly music could be targetted as Satan is the ruler of the world,

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

I remember the Proctor & Gamble thing and Smurfs being outlawed. My mum threw one in the bin (it didn't walk out of it's own volition though).

We weren't allowed to watch 18 movies and most 15s were out too. No Grange Hill, Ghostbusters, the movie Ghost and later on soap operas (even though my mum had always loved Corrie). Music-wise, I remember being really into Guns 'n' Roses and then being guilted into getting rid of the album when they were named and shamed in the Watchtower.

• jdub4life?
    jdub4life?

Fun = Banned ;)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit