There was no central governing body in the first century - Here is proof!!!

by vivalavida 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• vivalavida
    vivalavida

Reading this in 1 Cor. 14:26-33 proves that there was no centralized governing body that provided all truths in the first century. Here is the quote:

26 What is to be done, then, brothers? When YOU come together, one has a psalm, another has a teaching, another has a revelation, another has a tongue, another has an interpretation. Let all things take place for upbuilding. 27 And if someone speaks in a tongue, let it be limited to two or three at the most, and in turns; and let someone translate. 28 But if there be no translator, let him keep silent in the congregation and speak to himself and to God. 29 Further, let two or three prophets speak, and let the others discern the meaning. 30 But if there is a revelation to another one while sitting there, let the first one keep silent. 31 For YOU can all prophesy one by one, that all may learn and all be encouraged. 32 And [gifts of] the spirit of the prophets are to be controlled by the prophets. 33 For God is [a God], not of disorder, but of peace.

It very clearly states that when brothers came together in any congregation they had:

• teachings, which didn't come from the supposed GB in Jerusalem
    • revelations, which we're to believe explained prophecy and didn't come from Jerusalem
    • interpretations, which were locally provided and didn't come from Jerusalem
    • prophets in the congregation, who were there for the encouragement of all in the congregation and had nothing to do with Jerusalem.

This definitely proves that congregations were basically independent and were guided directly by Jesus through holy spirit. This was happening to the Corinthians, not the guys in Jerusalem.

Just something I find interesting as extra argument for those claiming that Jerusalem was the center and fountain of all teachings in the first century.

Vivalavida

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

So what, there's been new light since then.

• agonus
    agonus

"This definitely proves that congregations were basically independent and were guided directly by Jesus through holy spirit"

Not that I'm a big Pastor Russell fan, but it seems he at least got this one right...

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

Yup, I 100% agree. AND PAUL said, "YOU DO NOT NEED PEOPLE TO BE TEACHING YOU. When I learned I did not go running to get instructed."

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

That's also why all religions don't have the truth.

By the GB making themselves every part of the body, and all the annointed and other sheep just a hand, or a foot, they have restricted the holy spirit from working and distributing as IT wants.

Quest for truth, where all are seeking it, and all give input and all may speak, that would allow the holy spirit to operate. Then everyone would have to test the scriptures and make sure it's in harmony. The truth would eventually be attained.

The early christians were killed, and when Rome declared it a legal religion, they also took control of it. No more working as intended, but only through the priests, whom they set.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

I always found odd that NONE of that stuff (the prophecies and revelations) that went on in those early congregations was put into writing and found its way into our bibles... Things that make you go Hmmmmm.

Cheers

• steve2
    steve2

The Bible had me hooked until Revelation - 20 or so chapters of the sickest, most conveniently symbol-loaded lot of rubbish ever set to paper. Come Lord Jesus, Come quickly. Yes, 2,000 years later, come quickly? I think not. BTW, Paul was as cranky as they come: Handing out advice and rules left, right and centre, taking Christianity in a direction very different from the first followers of Christ.

• St George of England
    St George of England

Exgileadmissionary has a good youtube video on this. Well worth a watch, as are all his vids.

George

• vivalavida
    vivalavida

George, do you have a link?

Vivalavida

• vivalavida
    vivalavida

Witness,

Maybe lots of those prophecies and revelations are reflected in the non-canonical books that did not get picked up or got destroyed after 'christianity' became the official religion and the 'fathers' of the universal church decided what was acceptable and what not.

Vlv

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit