Why Answer the question: WHO then is the Faithful and Wise Servant?

by Terry 26 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Sherilynn
    Sherilynn

JeffT,

Good point. I had some witnesses come to my door, after explaining why I dont attend meetings anymore and their brief explanations of leaving it in Jehovahs hands. One looked at me, hunched up her shoulders (as if to shutter) and said: "Armageddeon is sooo close, aren't ya kinda scared?", I looked at her and said: "What do I have to be scared of ?" If armageddeon comes today or never, I leave it in Jehovah's hands and whatever he does in my life will only be to my benefit, don't you feel that way?" She was speachless. Then I commented that just because I am not at the Kingdom Hall does not mean that I don't have a relationship with God, infact I have much greater relationship with him and feel more Christlike in my life than ever before. They suddenly had to get going.

• Terry
    Terry

The current problem Jehovah's Witnesses face worldwide is that they can't beat the drum for Armageddon specifically on the basis of chronology like the have always done in the past.

Why?

The Internet is quick to expose them!

So, they are stuck on that Tar Baby of expectation and coitus interruptus. The sneeze that never happens....Ah...ahhh....ahhhhhhh (but, no CHOO!)

How they manage to work this out will be something to behold.

The older generation of JW's who have hung around since pre-1975 are very wary, indeed. It would only take one more prediction for their dam to burst.

The folks who have come in to the Kingdom Halls post-1975 aren't aware (on purpose!) of how this wild ride goes down.

They'll find out soon enough I imagine.

• agonus
    agonus

One question our dubbies love to throw at us is "But what if you're wrong?"

Well, what if I AM wrong? I die at Armageddon. No hell, no afterlife, no nothing. Square with the house, dues paid. I can handle that. I'm going to die someday anyway. I'm comfortable with my mortality.

If I went back on the principle of "what if I'm wrong", I'd be doing it for the wrong reasons, I still wouldn't believe it, and I would still hate it. And with that incurable lack of credulity and joy, I probably wouldn't make into Jehovah's New System TM anyway. What would be the point?

On the other hand, if THEY'RE wrong... now that is something I could NOT handle were I still a good little dub. A life utterly wasted on a futile pursuit. Now I understand there are many dubs who don't care if it turns out to be wrong, they still love "the life" (yargh, sounds like the mob) and think it's the best way to live. But I was not one of those dubs. I had gifts and desires that could never be fulfilled in the org. Of course, they will argue that you'd be able to do that in Paradise, and is risking losing that chance really worth it? But therein lies the rub. If I give up everything in this life that brings me any joy and meaning to serve JehovahTower on the promise of a reward of eternity of such, my motivation for doing so is improper (see above).

• Terry
    Terry

I like to reply to the "What if---" non-rebuttal of JW's with this:

"Being loyal to Jehovah is different from being loyal to people who misrepresent him with false prophecy. Hanging out with people who constantly have to change what they previously declared True would only demonstrate disloyalty to God himself on my part. Jehovah deserves better than he's gotten from them for the last hundred years!"

• Terry
    Terry

Bumping my old topic because I've run out my string on New Topics.

Still a good one imho:)

• Eustace
    Eustace

Well, what if I AM wrong?

The opportunity costs would be huge.

If I went back on the principle of "what if I'm wrong", I'd be doing it for the wrong reasons, I still wouldn't believe it, and I would still hate it. And with that incurable lack of credulity and joy, I probably wouldn't make into Jehovah's New System TM anyway. What would be the point?

I think they're asking you the question "what if you're wrong?" to try to get you to give consideration to their religion, consideration which they think could develop into sincere belief.

Of course what you're saying is that you could never believe it even if you took a very open minded stance towards it, so that they're wasting their time in trying to get you to join.

• Eustace
    Eustace

I had gifts and desires that could never be fulfilled in the org. Of course, they will argue that you'd be able to do that in Paradise

Hmm... What is it you can't do as a Jehovah's Witness but which they would say you could do in paradise?

Have they gotten that life denying that they're stopping JWs from doing things that would be considered "JW Kosher" in paradise?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit