Forget what they say, most JWs do not believe the end is near...

by drew sagan 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

I was a baptized JW for 7 years. During that time I repeatedly vocalized my belief that "the end is near." However, what did this cost me? What was I putting on the line for this belief? Did I really think the end was right around the corner?

The most ardent supporters of millennial belief systems don't just say they think the end is near, they construct their entire lives around their belief that this indeed is going to occur. They sell their homes, live out of trailers, wear that wacky sandwich sign and count down the days.

This isn't to say that belief that the end is near doesn't manifest itself within the organization. However, the degree to which contemporary JWs actually believe that the end is near, to the point of making life altering changes, has been greatly diminished.

As former JWs, I think most of us tend to mix up the B.S. that comes out of a JWs mouth as what they really believe. Sure, JWs will state till they are blue in the face that the end is near. But what is this belief costing them?

The truth is that belief in the "end times" comes cheap these days. Without putting anything of substance on the line, "end times" proclamations are nothing more than talk.

Now JWs back in 20s, 30s, 40s, etc., that's a different story. Those JWs believed crazy stuff with integrity, which strangley means they were a tad bit more respectable.

• sir82
    sir82

JWs always believe that the end is "about 3 years away".

Ask a bunch of individual JWs that question - I can almost guarantee that 75% of them will say "Yep, I give this old system 3 years at most".

The funny thing is, the "3 years" gets reset every January 1, but nobody ever notices.

JWs were saying "Yep, about 3 more years" in the 90's, the 80's, the 70's......the 30's, the 20's....

• 5thGeneration
    5thGeneration

I've always agreed.

Why aren't there 7.5 million Special Pioneers?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    Now JWs back in 20s, 30s, 40s, etc., that's a different story.

In the 70's and 80's it was also a different story. (1975 false prediction and 1986, the Internation Year of Peace)

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    Ask a bunch of individual JWs that question - I can almost guarantee that 75% of them will say "Yep, I give this old system 3 years at most".

Yes, I first heard that in 1976, but he was only giving it 2 years.

W

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

JWs always believe that the end is "about 3 years away".

I suppose the folks I knew were a bit more conservative. They always would say 10 years.

• PYRAMIDSCHEME
    PYRAMIDSCHEME

They have to say it or they will be ostracized.

Really. Say you don't think the end is near in a room full of Jehovah's Witnesses and see how quiet it gets....

And then let the rumors begin...

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

My mother talks about how corrupt this system of things is and it's all a sign of how close the end is but she's planning a family cruise for her 50th wedding anniversary in 2012.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I pretty much see it the same way as you, Drew.

Many did indeed sell their homes and put off medical procedures and spent their remaining days pioneering prior to the end of the world in 1975. "3" is just a generic number, but it might as well be the one. I remember plenty of members saying "no more than 5 years."

With the new urgency of the overlap, I can see them bringing back some hurry to the end.

• Hecklerboy
    Hecklerboy

How many of them that say the end is near have 401K's?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit