District Assembly Dramas - where the heck do they come from?

by babygirl30 36 Replies latest jw experiences

• babygirl30
    babygirl30

Despite growing up a JW I was always curious WHERE this corny plays came from? My best memories of them were when they USED to turn the lights out in the convention center - cause that meant I could SLEEP!!! -hahahaha. But seriously, who writes them? Who choose who the voices will be? I know for a fact that the 'actors' in the dramas are part of some fame contest...I say that becaues about 3yrs ago, the P.O. (back then) of my cong was assigned as the Drama Coordinator - and he gave HIS entire family (2 boys and 1 girl + their 3 cousins, also in our cong) the lead roles, while his kids picked all their friends to play the supporting roles! I remember thinking "are you kidding me? all these young people in our circuit and he gave the privilege to his family only?" Of course I thought it was a privilege back then - but after that situation, learned it was nothing more then a cheap acting popularity contest.

Besides, i'm too sexy for a drama. Those belted potato pouches they wear can't hold all THIS 'hotness' in. Brothers throwing their boxers on stage and screamin my name - ugh - would've been SUCH a distraction...hahahahahaha.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

LOL @ Babygirl

The only time my cong was involved in a drama was when I was about 10. As you said, it basically came down to a popularity contest. I remember heaps of fake tan was involved, because the brothers’ legs were too white under those old Hebrew skirts.

Another thing was the American accent – the accents always provided a giggle over here in Australia.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

There done at bethel and the audio is sent out to the various DC. I know that dan sydlic used to be the voice of god.

• Room 215
    Room 215

I was part of the very first one, "Cities of Refuge," back in the late sixties. We recorded it at Bethel and Brother Ulysses Glass, since deceased, oversaw the production.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

From the sound of the dialog they ALL were written back in the late 1960s or early 70s.

"Say pop, can me and brother Irregular go see that hip new film at the drive-in this Friday?"

"Well son, your question reminds me of the story of Ahokalugiah from the book of Judges in the Bible. It's a swell story! See, in Ahokalugia's time..." <voice fades, orchestral music swells with a good number of shaking tambourines in it, a handful of drones cover the stage furniture with persian rugs and other blankets to make it look like ancient Israel, brother Brownnose in a skirt and bad fake beard walks to center stage talking to himself>

"ASSOCIATION! Who would have ever thought so much misery could be brought about just by association?"

Blah, blah, etc. etc.

• carla
    carla

Drama's- another jw buzz word, the rest of the world calls them plays or even a skit. Annoyed my kids no end when my jw would call a school play a 'drama'. He has learned not to use jw language around us most of the time.

• B_Deserter
    B_Deserter

How about the over-emphasized gestures? Most of those guys up there had no idea what to do with their hands so they would move them up and down like they were trying to air-dry them for EVERY. SINGLE. SYLLABLE.

• babygirl30
    babygirl30

had no idea what to do with their hands so they would move them up and down like they were trying to air-dry them for EVERY. SINGLE. SYLLABLE.

HAHAHAHAHAHA! Oh my God - ur right! And when they would say "Jehovah" - they would always sort of lean back, look up in the air, and throw both arms up - like that they were about to do jump jacks!!!

• Girlie
    Girlie

LOL @ this post.

All the comments are spot-on about the dramas.

• man in black
    man in black

How about the way they would say certain words,,

and JE - HOV - AH (very forcefully) saved his people.

Ulyssisus Glass, thats a name I haven't heard for years. When our hall was completed back in 1980 he flew in and gave the dedication talk.

It was a two day affair, several talks from big shot local witnesses, and one from Glass in a local auditorium on Friday night.

Service from the new hall on Saturday morning, public talk from him Sunday morning.

He was a good speaker., and reminded me of Abraham Lincoln without the beard.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit