What are JW's saying about Ray Franz's death?

by Think About It 27 Replies latest jw friends

• flipper
    flipper

I agree that most JW's , well, virtually ALL of them wouldn't know Ray died unless it's in the news via Associated press somewhere. And only log time witnesses would recognize his name. But Blondie had a good point- most witnesses DON'T recognize anybody dying in their own congregations .

Anybody want to make a bet that not many JW's even heard Ted Jaracz had a stroke last year even ? I've got good money that says most didn't even know - or STILL never heard about it. That's how secretive this organization is

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

My JW wife not only didn't know that Albert had died, she didn't know who he was.

She pretended she didn't know Lösch was a GB member.

I can't always tell if she is really ignorant, or is just playing the Theocratic Warfare game.

She only knows who Ray is because CoC is on my bookshelf.

Chris

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

I told my Dad by email, he knows exactly who he was. I pasted a link to wikipedia, and Time website. and asked him what he thought of that since he was in the service for 40 years and almost 9 as a GB. He replied he was doing fine and completely ignored me.

• cantleave
    cantleave

No Mention will be made at all.

• WuzLovesDubs
    WuzLovesDubs

I was in the car with my husband, driving through Georgia on our way to Illinois on the day he had his stroke....so ironic as I hadnt been in that state since 1975....and I was very upset. I was using his phone to check my mail when I came across a post on Facebook about it. I explained that Ray Franz had had a stroke and was in a coma. He has been a JW since 1986 and he recognized the name Franz because of Freddie but didnt know who Ray was or that Ray was the one who saved ME and subsequently our children, from the maw of the Borg in 1996. Rays name is VERBOTEN Im sure in the halls of the Borg. When I mentioned his name to two JWs in 1996 in relation to my needing ANSWERS to the things Ray wrote, I was met with open and deep and immediate hostility towards him because THEY had been in the Borg when the whole scandal with Ray happened. Todays JWs wouldnt even know and probably wouldnt care.

• Think About It
    Think About It

I remember Ray Franz being well known by the JW's. Can still recall the car group discussion where I first heard his name mentioned as a GB member turned apostate and about the book he wrote. Sadly, I can see many JW's being gleeful over his death. With the advent of the internet, I bet more JW's know about Ray than you think.

Think About It

• MrMonroe
    MrMonroe

I think he is largely unknown to Witnesses. Soon after I was baptised in 1985, someone told me almost as a sly bit of hot goss that one of the GB had been found to be apostate and they'd had to go back through everything he'd written to work out if he'd sneaked some twisted teachings in among them. It was Ray Franz, of course, and the comment was typical of the thinking that marked that wonderful M. Night Shyamalan film "The Village": "They're ut there waiting to get us!" A long time has passed since then. Certain Witnesses trying to keep the JW Wikipedia articles looking like PR pages hate Franz and will do anything they can to keep statements from his books off articles, and to them he is the devil incarnate. I'd guess they those people would be quietly cheering his demise. They don't realize the number of people for whom Ray unlocked the gates. Then again, maybe they do.

• zoiks
    zoiks

When I was meeting with 2 elders last year regarding my doubts, his name came up. The COBE mentioned that even at Bethel there had been apostasy, and that a GB member had become an apostate. This COBE is always looking for apostasy, and I knew he was baiting me. He started hemming and hawing, "What's-his-name... Franz...? Yeah, Franz... the nephew..." while watching me closely. Then he turned to the other elder and said, "I don't think he's come back to the truth. Have you heard anything?" The other elder is a young guy, and just gave him a blank stare.

I also gave him my best blank stare.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit