Need help with research

by grewupjw1969 10 Replies latest jw friends

• grewupjw1969
    grewupjw1969

Hey everybody,

I have a friend with whom I grew up with, she has remained a JW for the last 25 years. She is now fading out. The last straw for her was the New Generation teaching. She called me and asked how the JW's explain what happens in the New System regarding marriage and such. If anyone can point me towards WT or Awake articles, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Grewup JW

• Psychotic Parrot
    Psychotic Parrot

I couldn't tell you the specific articles, but what you'll find is that they change their mind from one to the other & thus it's impossible to really keep up with what they think. When it comes to marriage, their views over the last 50 years have ranged from "we don't know" to "there will be marriage" to "there will be no marriage", so the answer is, they don't have a clue what they're talking about.

• grewupjw1969
    grewupjw1969

Yea I figured its been something that they have flip-flopped on.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

If she has a WTCD search for marry resurrected. There are at least two QFRs on it.

Also Insight book Vol 2 page 344

Marriage and the Resurrection. A group of Jesus’ opponents who did not believe in the resurrection asked Jesus a question that was calculated to embarrass him. In answering them, he revealed that “those who have been counted worthy of gaining that system of things and the resurrection from the dead neither marry nor are given in marriage.”—Lu 20:34, 35; Mt 22:30.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I don't think there have been any flip flops on that one. Not in the last 50 years anyway.

• grewupjw1969
    grewupjw1969

Ok....thanks Black Sheep

• blondie
    blondie

There was a scare in the time leading up to 1975 which lead many jws in my area to get married enmasse.

Up until 1969 this was the marital vow the WTS said should be used. Even after that many jws in my area weren't sure if it wouldn't change back and that there would be no marriage for anyone in the "new system."

*** w52 6/15 p. 363 The Marriage Ceremony ***The minister will then ask the man to repeat after him:

“I, ________, take you, ________, to be my wedded wife, to love and to cherish in accordance with the divine law as set forth in the Holy Scriptures for Christian husbands, for as long as we both shall live or until the divine termination of the marital arrangement.”

Here is another statement that is quite interesting. I always wondered what would happen after the final test at the end of the 1,000 year reign, if people had children because they had not been tested.

*** w54 9/15 p. 575 Questions From Readers ***After that final test there will definitely be no marrying or being given in marriage then by those counted worthy of the new world and having the right to eternal life, just as angels have that right.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Just to clarify Devine Termination

1st August 1952

Questions From Readers

The June 15 Watchtower on “The Marriage Ceremony”, arranges for the man getting married to repeat after the minister that he will love and cherish his wife “for as long as we both shall live or until the divine termination of the marital arrangement”. What is meant by the words “until the divine termination of the marital arrangement”?—L. K., New York. Some have speculated on that phrase, saying that it means until the marriage is Scripturally terminated by a divorce on the grounds of adultery. But no such unhappy conclusion of the marriage would be envisioned at the happy time of the marriage ceremony. That is not a termination initiated by God, but is a tragic one brought about by the uncleanness of the adulterous one. Others have interpreted the expression to mean when an anointed mate of one of the earthly class is finally taken to heaven to reign with Christ. The physical death of the anointed partner terminates such marriage. So that is not the thought intended. Nor should it be taken, as still others have taken it, to definitely mean that the marriage will end when the divine mandate to fill the earth will have been accomplished. The expression is used merely to cover a possibility, to allow for any future termination that may come about through the divine providence. When the mandate to fill the earth is fulfilled, when childbearing ceases, the marriage partners may continue their association together as life companions, or they may not, depending upon the divine will at that future, distant time. We cannot say at this time what divine providence will arrange in the distant future in the new world. So this expression merely allows for some future action on the part of God that may terminate the marital arrangement, but it does not mean that such a divine termination will actually take place. We leave that entirely with the Lord for his future action, and the expression is included to show that if such future action is ever taken then all couples will gladly comply with the divine will as it is revealed at that distant time.

• blondie
    blondie

You know how some jws can think a "possibility" is a certainty and they were covering all their bases. The WTS is known for using ambiguous wording, "may...or may not" "allows for some future action...but does not mean...will actually take place." My aunt remembers when that came out in the 50's and she was unmarried and not looking being counseled by sisters to quickly find a husband. It know it is wild but we had 2 to 3 weddings every weekend in our circuit of only 18 congregations from 1969 to 1975 because they were afraid there would be no marriage for anyone in the "new system." It was hard to decide which friend's wedding to attend, and it was quite expensive buying wedding gifts.

• grewupjw1969
    grewupjw1969

Wow!!!! That makes me wonder if that's why my parents married back in '68? Esp. considering the circumstances that my mom was in (pregnant by someone else)......

It's terrible that the WTS puts things the way they do...

GrewupJW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit