What's with the hijab?

by jws 11 Replies latest jw friends

• jws
    jws

The hijab is one of a few headdresses worn by Muslim women. From what I can tell, it is supposed to hide the femininity of the woman. Because I'm sure as a Muslim, it's going to all be the woman's fault if a man acts improperly due to attraction.

I don't agree with it, but hey, it's their religion and it doesn't hurt others, so have at it if you want to wear it.

Let's face it. The hijab is NOT a hip fashion accessory that people would willingly love to wear. So they're wearing it for religious reasons. But if you're going to wear it, don't be a hypocrite. I see more and more girls acting contrary to the whole point.

On the way to take my kids to school and back, I used to see a girl waiting for a bus. She always wore a hijab. But she also wore skin-tight clothes. You could see every curve. And quite frankly, IMO, for a woman with a good body, that's a bigger turn-on than seeing her hair. Isn't that sort of contrary to the whole purpose of the hijab? But..., hello? Skin tight clothes? Not exactly hiding your femininity. She also had a lot of makeup. Also, making yourself look more feminine and attractive. WTF?

Last week, at my kids's middle school they had a talent show. One of the girls had a Muslim sounding name and was wearing a hijab as well. She chose to sing "One Last Time" by Ariana Grande. The song is about a girl who wants to sleep with her ex one last time. While it doesn't specifically say that, the lyrics do say she wants to be the one to bring him home and have him wake up in her arms. First of all, I'm no prude, and I know the kids hear worse. But this is inappropriate for a Middle School talent show. And by a girl wearing a hijab no less. Showing to the world, her religious conviction, she sings the most inappropriate song at the show.

These young women are so committed to their faith, they wear a hijab, but then wear skin tight clothes and sing songs about having sex. I don't get it.

If you're rebelling against your faith, fine. I get that. But while you're at it, why not start by taking off the hijab?

• bemused
    bemused

I suspect they are not at all committed to their faith but while they can get away with tight clothes and make-up, there is no way their families would accept them not covering their hair because there is a specific religious edict against that (no concerns about Spandex in the dark ages). As you say though, it's completely ridiculous because the purpose of the hair covering is to reduce attractiveness and they are circumventing that aim in other ways.

When I was on holiday once I remember a young Muslim couple that were guests at the same hotel. For swimming the woman wore a suit that left only her face, hands and feet bare. However the suit was thin and skin tight and showed off her figure much better than the usual costumes worn by the other women round the pool. Her outfit might have met the letter of the Koran, but definitely not the spirit.

• Heaven
    Heaven

I actually find a hijab quite feminine and attractive in it's appearance. It definitely does not hide a woman like a burka does.

Symbolically, it is meant to show modesty and respect. Muslim women can only show their hair to their family and husband. There is something within a lot of fundamentalist faiths, not just Muslim, about covering the head to symbolically represent respect. I have far more issue with the burka than the hijab.

• SonoftheTrinity
    SonoftheTrinity
    I think after 9-11 it became a political act. Just like my septugenarian doctor whose dad was Arab Muslim but was raised as an Irish-American Catholic by his Irish Catholic grandparents but got beat down after mouthing off at the cops and having the name Al (short for Allen) Hassan. Little did they know that he was both a decorated Marine who spent his life proving he was as American as anyone, and a Doctor and a Medical Lawyer. It took him 12 years but he got his pound of flesh from that city's coffers, and decided to grow a very Islamic looking beard after he realized an Arab is an Arab is an Arab in post 9-11 America.
  • DJS
    DJS

Different strokes, but one of the premises of the OP, that Muslim men are weak and pathetic and simply cannot control their urges, is true. Women are blamed for a host of assaults and objectionable behavior based on this premise. Also, having spent some time in the Middle East, one thing I can tell you about the women who wear burkas, Well, two things actually.

You can tell the social status of the woman even before she gets into her black Mercedes based on the quality and fit of the burka. The burkas of the rich ones and those attached to oil $ are made of exquisite high quality cloth. And the fully clad burka females - where the ONLY female presence is a thin visor - have the most freaking awesome amazing incredible beautiful and sensual EYES. You might try to hide the woman under the burka, but you can never really hide the woman under the burka.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I think there are many reasons for a woman to wear a Hijab. I think some younger women wear one because of family pressure, so they otherwise like to dress as any other young girl, with fashionable clothes. Some older women wear ne, not for religious reasons, but for cultural reasons, they have always worn one and and do not wish to change.

• Village Idiot
  • cofty
    cofty

These women "choose" to wear the burka in the same way that JW children "choose" to die rather than accept blood. When you limit people's access to knowledge you can make all sorts of things feel like a free choice.

• Twitch
    Twitch
    And the fully clad burka females - where the ONLY female presence is a thin visor - have the most freaking awesome amazing incredible beautiful and sensual EYES.

I have to admit, Persian women do have beautiful eyes, and a rather captivating visage overall.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams
    I have to say, I think the hijab is feminine and dignified. If the culture is that the women cover their hair, then that's fine with me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit