DO you follow any of these quacks, charlatans, liars, mystics or self-promoters?

by Terry 127 Replies latest jw friends

• Terry
    Terry

Don't try to lie about it. You accept some of these people as an Authority. You listen to them. You watch them. You buy their products. You are nfluenced and shaped by their advice.

Aren't you ashamed of yourself?

Why surrender your mind to hucksters, self-promoters who bally-hoo nonsense and mysticism like it was gold?

Why is BELIEF in fluffy supernatural nonsense so appealing to you? Miracle cures? Talking to the dead? Mind over matter?

Could it be because it is easier to believe in something mysterious, mystical and full of tingling promises than it is to exercise your right to a NON-CONTRADICTION with reality?

• journey-on
    journey-on

Funny. So many people with a viewpoint to share. How dare they!

And then we have this board with its own self-proclaimed "experts" on what the mind/consciousness/rationality/fillintheblank REALLY is and how one should use it and view it, what should be ignored or not ignored, what one's own personal experiences REALLY are, younameit.

• Terry
    Terry

I think we've scored a direct hit!

Anybody else?

• Terry
    Terry

I think we've scored a direct hit!

Anybody else?

• JWoods
    JWoods

You forgot to include that creepy colin-cleansing ad guy with the pencil-line moustache.

Of course, I haven't seen him on late-night TV for a while.

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

No, although I did watch Dyer for about 30 minutes once on PBS just for shits and giggles. He's a hoot, really.

He walks around dressed like a Buddhist monk now and it really adds a lot of drama to his bullshit. All these people are ENTERTAINERS who got carried away with themselves and think they're for real.

I kind of like Deepak Chopra in one way because he openly says that religion is a crock. He denounced Hinduism for humanism very publicly because the Hindu's preach peace and build nuclear bombs.

I kind of like a guy who isn't afraid to tell a huge religion to go blow goats, you know. As for his medical philosophy, I'll still be going to the doctor when I'm sick, thanks anyway. He's just talking the same old feel good New Age stuff, which is as old as dirt, really.

Nothing new here, people, just old stuff in new book covers.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

If Dali Lama is is Quack and a Liar..

Then so is this Guy..

........................ ...OUTLAW

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Charlatans work on averages, meaning they know not everyone is going to buy into their BS, but they also know that there are

enough potential buyers out there to make the whole effort a worthy one and this is what keeps them motivated.

In a very similar way the WTS. plays into people emotions just like any other charlatan out there.

Cunning exploitation that pays off well for those daring enough.

The WTS. gains more than just money in comparison to these others, they also gain power and a uplift in personal stature,

which is equally desirable as any amount of money can be.

• journey-on
    journey-on

You missed it, Terry. Again, you tend to skim the reading and "hear" only what you want to hear.

I don't watch, follow, nor embrace any of those people above. Although, I do have to admit that while channel surfing on occasion I have observed John Edward's "talents" and been fascinated at his verbal quickness. Who am I to judge him and what his personal experiences represent? Do I follow him or as you put it, "surrender my mind" to him? No.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I don't get the dalai Lama part...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit