Quality of this Forum

by stevieb1 120 Replies latest jw friends

• NameWithheld
    NameWithheld

"In this thread I have presented what I consider to be very strong evidence"

Exactly. What you consider. Well, Mr Muslum doesn't buy your evidence, he thinks Allah created the world. The Greeks thought Zues (or who knows who) was responsible. Your 'evidence' is as weighty as their's was/is. In other words, I don't buy it. You're side-stepping the issue of the fact that your 'god' was created in your mind based on where you happened to be born. I can tell you with 99% assurance had you been born in the heart of Islam you would right now be defending Allah as staunchly as you are defending 'god' now. So again, what makes you so right, and the Muslums/Buhdist/etc so wrong? 'Cause your bible says so?

• aChristian
    aChristian

Name,

Earlier you apparently criticized my position that the Bible speaks of a local flood without having read what I had asked you to read on that subject. Now, you criticize the quality of the evidence that I have presented which I believe proves that the God of the Bible, and no other god but Him, created our universe. However your criticisms do not in any way reference the content of the evidence I presented. So, I'm curious, in this case have you read what you criticize?

• Faithful2Jah
    Faithful2Jah

AC: Any idea when Christ will return?

• aChristian
    aChristian

Faithful,

Judging from all the past success people have had in predicting the time of Christ's return, I think that is one topic of discussion that Christians should wisely avoid.

• Flip
    Flip
    Judging from all the past success people have had in predicting the time of Christ's return, I think that is one topic of discussion that Christians should wisely avoid.

Why should 'Christians' wisely avoid an amusing pastime?

For example, the WTBTS has been inferring predictions for years and, unless you're extremely rich, they're doing much better financially than yourself.

Flip

PS spare me the, 'well, they'll get theirs in the end!' speech.

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

aChristian,

Thanks for answering my question.

IW

• aChristian
    aChristian

Flip,

I wrote: Judging from all the past success people have had in predicting the time of Christ's return, I think that is one topic of discussion that Christians should wisely avoid.

You responded: Why should 'Christians' wisely avoid an amusing pastime? ... the WTBTS has been inferring predictions for years and, unless you're extremely rich, they're doing much better financially than yourself.

You are kidding, I hope. Do you realize how many lives the Watchtower Society has ruined with all of their false predictions? Sure they have made a lot of money doing it. But someone who is willing to destroy lives to make money might as well sell drugs to school kids.

• Flip
    Flip
    …You are kidding, I hope.

aChris’, I was, and I wasn’t. However, I agree, in this case, with your assessment of WTBTS monetary motives.

…is willing to destroy lives to make money might as well sell drugs to school kids.
    Then again there are those willing to ‘urge’ others to believe what they should or shouldn’t for ’free’ in the hopes of promoting a society of their own interpretation at the expense of others freedoms, by indirectly threatening the latter with their ‘swift’ demise.

Therein lies the seed of suppressing a confident and progressive community and replacing it with a potentially efficient environment of ‘benevolent’ extortion.

Flip

• cellomould
    cellomould

Thanks for the reply aC,

I must admit to asking a loaded question. My personal view is that Satan just grew out of God's complexity.

The vengeful, jealous God who tempted humans into sin (loving them only when they were absolutely good children) sounded barely a step above the polytheism of the Greeks and others.

Enter Greco-Roman and Eastern Philosophy.... God 'ejects' Satan, even confining his activities to the earth. Satan is still somewhat of an alter-ego invoked to whip humans into shape.

But animosity between God and Satan festers. This is part of the continuing evolution of the human conscience.

So now humans want to invoke God to get rid of Satan once and for all. Notice how persistent Satan is in the bible? All wicked mankind has to die before he does. Why not Satan first?

cellomould

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

• aChristian
    aChristian

Cello,

I appreciated you comments. This subject is one which I will soon be doing some serious study on. As you may know, there are Christians who believe that the Bible uses Satan and his demons only in a metaphorical way, to represent all kinds of mental, spiritual and physical afflictions.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit