How dangers is field service really, has anyone ever heard of someone being hurt or killed while doing some form of witnessing

by life is to short 43 Replies latest jw experiences

• life is to short
    life is to short

OK my other thread was not totally what I was after. After thinking it through I was wondering if any of you have ever heard of someone being hurt by a householder in field service.

Like I mentioned in my latest thread about the sister who was murdered and then her death was blamed on her.

I know in the hall I grew up in there were many sex offenders living in the area. All the elders had to do was check the internet for sex offenders and put the addresses in the territories, like that would ever happen but seriously is that not what some normal person would do instead of sending young girls to anyones door. But no, not Jehovah's chosen people we have Jehovah's angles with us. Like come on get real. There are plenty of crazy people out there and we do not know who is behind the doors we call on. So not only do we send baby rapist to peoples doors we could very well be calling on murders and child molesters and talking our children with us to teach them the Bible and give the hope for everlasting life. But yet we are not trained for it. How truly sick it all of this.

I am cutting and pasting part of my last post here, I wish I had titled it differently.

If that were not enough I was thinking of when I was a teenager and the neighborhood I worked in field service was infected with drugs. The city I live in is not that horrible of town but the area where the congregation I grew up was and still is really bad. We had two drive shootings one killed a 16 year old girl shortly after we came back from Bethel and the other shooting killed a three year old girl. Yet the elders thought nothing about have young sisters work around the block by themselves.

I remember being about 16 or 17 years old and working with another young sister and this householder trying to get us to come inside no one knew where we were. Another time I was about the same age and worked with a sister who was in her late 70's this really creepy guy invites us in and the older sister was like sure we'll come in. The first thing he did was block our way of leaving yet the older sister did not think a thing of it. I was totally freaking out inside. We were there for well over an half an hour when finally some elder came looking for us. The look on the creepy guys face when he saw a man at the door was scary. Maybe I am wrong in my thoughts of him but I told the older sister back in the car that guy gave me the creeps. She just said Jehovah draws all kinds of people.

I guess I just do not understand how this religion has made it. There has to have been more people hurt doing door to door then we know. Like a sister was murdered in Washington when I was a teenager. I heard it was in central Washington but not for sure. The point is the murdered sister was blamed for her death. She went to the house alone and should have known better. Excuse me. I was sent to homes with just one other sister who was my age. So she went alone I was told Jehovah would watch over me.I guess I am just bitter right now with how stupid this all sounds and I am somewhat mad at myself for buying into it.

So what I was wondering is I could not have been the only one to notice this danger and has anyone else.

LITS

• cult classic
    cult classic

You know LifeITS, I've never really thought about this beyond the occasional shooting or dog threats we get at the doors. But when we were serving where the "need was greater" in rural / abandoned territories there was plenty of scare factor. But it was just the sacrifice we were willing to make b/c of Jehovah's namesake

There were a couple of times when we'd go on bible studies I'd get the sense that the man of the house was less than a gentleman. Beyond the usual, I have never heard of anyone getting hurt/killed.......it is very strange now that I think about it.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I knew a pioneer that got slugged in the eye. He carried a shiner for a few weeks.

I once was asked to accompany an elder to the home of a suicidal 'student'. He was a Vietnam veteran, very confused, very nervous, and had a loaded 45 on the table the entire time. Nothing happened, but I sweat some bullets for an hour while we reasoned with the guy. He fondled the notches on his pistol as we talked that night. He had literally niched it for every kill he had in Nam. I think he some years later did commit suicide.

Jeff

• dissed
    dissed

Yikes AK-Jeff, I had almost the exact same experience as you. This guy kept handling the gun in front of us. I asked him, "the gun's not loaded is it?" And he said "yes, of course it is" The JW with me made him unload it if we were to continue our discussion. Which he did relunctantly.

• dissed
    dissed

The most dangerous thing for me was being chased by animals. Usaully dogs, but have been run down and had to leap on the car for safety by a goose, a pig, and goats several times. Oh yeah, once a rooster attacked me at the door and drew blood.

I've had friends killed in car wrecks while in service, but I don't think that's what you are looking for.

• life is to short
    life is to short

That reminds me my husband said on many elders calls he would run into suicidal JW's. As an elder he had no training on how to help them. But the CO insisted he do his best. I am going to counseling now and my counselor said that any elder my husband included could be sued if someone did suicide themselves and the elders did not get them true help. What a screwed up religion.

I mean turn a group of men as elders out to help people who only wash windows for a living. That is what my elder husband did wash windows. Yet he was trying to help suicidal JW's. My husband never told me this one story but another elder did years after it happened. Turns out my husband and this brand new elder went to this sister's home to do a shepherding call on her, she was totally crazy pulled a gun on the new elder and told him to say his prayer because she was going to shoot him, apparently she totally hated him and he nor my husband knew it. My husband talked her out killing him. Yet they never called the police. I heard the story about five years latter and I went balistic with anger. Anger at the elder who was telling it, at my husband and the crazy sister, but mostly because no on did anything to help the sister. She had to be in pain or something to think of truly killing someone.

I truly think more people have been hurt or killed in this religion then we know. Like that sister who was murdered. It was kept really quit, I was totally freaked out when I heard it but when I asked anyone it was like why are you talking about it. She brought it on herself. She should not have been out alone or what ever horrible things she did to get herself killed. I mean how crazy is that.

Then there was the sister in Butte MT who committed suicide in the early 80's and it again was keep quit. Rummer had it her dad or brothers were having insect with her and she just could not take it any more. No one would help her and she felt her only out was to kill herself. But that is all rummer as it was shut up really fast.

The more I know the more it makes me sick. I am sorry this is a dark thread but if we do not talk about it then the GB get by with maybe causing people to die.

LITS

• life is to short
    life is to short

Thanks dissed

Not exactly what I was thinking but it was really funny. Thanks for sharing not so dark thoughts. Sorry the rooster drew blood.

LITS

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Lifeistooshort, There is a directive from the Society in letter form that all registered sex offenders known of in the territory are to be designated "Do not calls" and are to be approached annually by elders only. Just thought you'd like to know. This doesn't mean they are bright enough to adhere to it.

• life is to short
    life is to short

Wasanelder once

Not in my hall. We have many sex offenders in our halls territory and there is not note of any of the registered sex offenders in any territory. But my elders are not that bight in the first place. Thanks for the inof though.

LITS

• mentallyfree31
    mentallyfree31

I was bitten by a dog while pioneering. I guess I was practicing some secret sin and the angels stopped looking over me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit