607 B.C.E. - A Trip To The Local Library! With Pictures!

by mentallyfree31 74 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Then if Babylon was destroyed in 539-B.C.E., and Cyrus released the Jews in his first year (as the scriptures tell us), the date that Jerusalem was re-inhabited was 537-B.C.E… and counting back 70 years brings us 607-B.C.E.

If this wasn't so serious it would be humorous. How is it that the Dubs can so credulously accept the secularly established dates 539 and 537 without criticism or critique while openly damning the other secularly established date(s) of 587/586?

I would ask the author of this article to prove for me the dates of 539 and 537 both scripturally and secularly. He would have to use secular sources to do so and then he would have to debunk those very same sources in order to deny 587/586.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

There is actually MORE secular evidence for the destruction of Jerusalem in 587 than there is for the destruction of Babylon in 539.

Bible has no chronology per say, there are no dates, just events and as such, one must first find the correct dates for events and then work it out from there, and where does one find correct dates for events?

Secular history.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Exactly, PSac. They couldn't do it.

• Desilusionnee
    Desilusionnee

Thanks a lot Lady Liberty. I'll try to do it that way.

• mentallyfree31
    mentallyfree31

Basically, WT insists upon 607 because of their interpretation of one prophecy. Being that I have seen hundreds of WT prophecies go unfulfilled and turn out to be only some man's wild imaginative writings, I'm not gonna put any stock into a WT interpretation of a scripture. The destruction of Jerusalem was a pretty big event in history, so I will just go with the secular proof on this one. There is rarely "new light" in secular proof, so the findings usually hold up..LOL

Thanks everybody for the comments. I have really enjoying hearing everybody's thoughts.

• changeling
    changeling

I did the same thing a few years ago. I sat in B&N and then Borders for two afternoons, I searched in the History, Theology and Judeica (you'd think the Jews would know when Jerusalem was destroyed) sections and, as you did, found NO support for 607BCE and no debate among scholars about 587-586. Good job with the pictures. No explanation is needed, the facts speak for themselves!

• mentallyfree31
    mentallyfree31

Update: Part 2 of my research was conducted today. I went to another library, and have posted my results on a new thread here:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/bible/194806/1/Library-Visit-2-607-BCE-vs-587-BCE-With-Pictures

Enjoy!

-mentallyfree31-

• jeovagood
  • leavingwt
    leavingwt

bttt

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough

35 websites that specifically discuss the 607 issue:

http://www.144000.110mb.com/directory/607_bce_586_587_destruction_fall_desolation_jerusalem.html

For those unfamiliar with the issues, a very brief historical overview is in order. We are basically dealing with events that span roughly 125 years, from 625 B.C.E. to 500 B.C.E. It includes the end, or fall, of the Assyrian Empire to Babylon in 609 B.C.E. followed by the rise and subsequent end, or fall, of the Neo-Babylonian Empire (Babylonian Empire) which lasted seventy years, followed by the rise and early years of the combined empires of the Persians and Medes which ended Babylon’s reign in October 539 B.C.E.

We are especially concerned with the Jews of Jerusalem and Judah during this time who were caught between these rising and falling empires, particularly the seventy-year period defined here as the Babylonian Empire. These Jews would come to serve Babylon in various capacities, as did all the surrounding nations that fell under the dominion of the Babylonians, or Chaldeans.

There were numerous Babylonian kings during this era, beginning with Nabopolassar who presided over the final demise of Assyria in 609 B.C.E., followed by his son Nebuchadnezzar (or Nebuchadrezzar), the great warrior king who consolidated the empire through numerous military campaigns. It was Nebuchadnezzar who enslaved the Jews, forced them to become vassals, dispersed them to other nations, exiled them to Babylon and annihilated or devastated Jerusalem and Judah. The end of the Babylon Empire was presided over by Nabonidus who was then king, though his son Belshazzer was co-ruler of Babylon when the Persians and Medes conquered them in October 539 B.C.E.

Our attention is basically focused on three Jewish kings:

a) Jehoiakim: He ruled eleven years, and had been in power when Nebuchadnezzar ruled in his first year as king of Babylon. Jehoiakim became a vassal to Babylon in his eighth year, rebelled against Babylon, and depending upon which Bible one reads, and other factors, was exiled to Babylon with other Jews (2 Kings 24:1-4).

b) Jehoiachin (also called Jeconiah): His reign replaced Jehoiakim's but lasted only three months at which time he, and 10,000 others - all of Jerusalem - were exiled to Babylon roughly 800 miles away (2 Kings 24:8 - 17).

c) Zedekiah: He replaced Jehoiachin, ruled eleven years, became a vassal to Babylon early on, and steadfastly rebelled against Nebuchadnezzar who then utterly destroyed Jerusalem and Judah in Zedekiah’s eleventh year; he either slaughtered, dispersed or exiled the remaining Jews to Babylon. The Jehovah’s Witnesses believe this destruction of Jerusalem occurred in 607 B.C.E., while everyone else for the most part agrees it occurred in 587/6 B.C.E. See generally Jeremiah chapters 24 and 25.

After the Persians and Medes conquered Babylon in 539 B.C.E. the Jews were set free and roughly 50,000 of them returned home to Judah in the fall of 537 B.C.E.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit