Making the leap - lurker to member - Hello!

by Hadit 65 Replies latest jw friends

• Hadit
    Hadit

Hello everyone!

I’ve been lurking here for the past couple of months since I started researching the organization. I don’t have many people to talk to and it’s been a saving grace to read your posts.

I don’t really know where to start so here I go. It’s been a long journey getting here and it looks as if I still have a long ways to go to get somewhere healthy, stable and strong. I have read a lot of posts on this board and sometimes I feel like I’ve been reading my own life story. I’ve cried, laughed (I admire many peoples’ sense of humor despite the pain), been infuriated and a host of emotions I didn’t even know existed when reading what people have gone through.

I will try to keep this brief as I’m sure my story will come out in bits and pieces later. I have felt for years that something is wrong but I never allowed myself to question things too much. I come from a highly controlling environment from my childhood to the organization to my marriage. I started reading self-help books a year and a half ago and it led to an interest in psychology, neuroscience and microbiology. This led to reading about mind control. I slowly started to put things together. I started observing things around me and had many questions. Who are these men in Brooklyn that run my life? What do I know about them? Why are they all men and no women? I then gave myself permission to research this organization. Then came the shock, horror, rage, fury, sadness, guilt, blinding rage, sadness . . . so on.

My main issues: Lack of love, pedophilia, lack of respect for women, blood transfusion issue, the massacre in Malawi, the ‘eliteness’ of the governing body, twisted scriptures, Jesus is the mediator only for the 144,000, United Nations affiliation, 100% failed prophecy rate, control of every aspect of life, Johannes Greber (spiritist who’s translation of John 1:1 was used for the NWT), lack of transparency of the WT, lies told by the WT, the massive wealth amassed by the WT - I can keep going but I think you all get the gist!

Effect on family: My husband’s loyalty is to the organization, my teenage son is probably thoroughly confused buy believes it’s the truth, I finally got through to my mom. My father and friends have since reported me to the elders and they have come to my door and are on a mission. Overnight I discovered that most of my relationships have been conditional - heartbreaking. I thank my ‘worldly’ friends for their true and unconditional friendship.

I’m sorry – this has not been very brief! I’m glad I found a group of people who share a lot of the same trials. I look forward to discussions and sharing ideas.

Hadit

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Welcome!

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

Welcome!

I'm glad that you have been awakened and have started to come out of the darkness. I am sorry though, that you have to go through the pain that comes along with it, but in the end I believe (as I am in the process myself) that is worth it.

• undercover
    undercover

Welcome...

Good luck (yes, it's okay to use that term now) on your journey to freedom.

• bohm
    bohm

WELCOME!

• snowbird
    snowbird

Welcome!

Great writing - clear and concise.

Sylvia

• awildflower
    awildflower

Welcome! It's amazing what a little outside education can do isn't it, that's exactly what happened to me, one book started it all and here I am.

• sacolton
    sacolton

Congratulations, Hadit. Just a question ... in your experience, would there have been ANYTHING someone outside the organization could have done to speed your doubts about the Watchtower? Seems like most have to find their own way out and no amount of debate will ever help a Jehovah's Witness to start thinking on his/her own - in fact, it seems to have the opposite result where they will burrow deeper into the trenches of the Watchtower defenses. Many family and friends try hard to find a way to reach and find some escape for one trapped inside the cult. What would you recommend?

As for your exit, the healing process will be slow. You will have to learn to de-program everything that was hammered into you since you started. Lots of anger will need to be vented (don't bottle it up) and support with those who can relate to your pain.

Hope you'll stick around.

• hereiam!
    hereiam!

Hi hadit!! I'm so glad like so many of us you've finally had it!! lol sorry, I couldn't help myselft. I am so proud of you! I recently made a solid step to get away, and its been over 6 months now. It for sure hasn't been easy but its true, its SO WORTH IT!! I really hope the best for your family and that's so awesome you got through to your mom! It sounds like you wil be facing some tough times with the elders on your back now. That I belive is the saddest effect the organization has, is disrupting your peace and happiness within the family. I am fortunate to have my husband leave with me, but I have an enormous amound of family that are all witnesses and am having a hard time dealing with it. Please keep your chin up and know you are doing the right thing! You have to be true to yourself and to those you love most. I'm so glad you found this place and together we can all find the way to move forward. Looking forward to updates about how you and your family are doing. Please know we care!! Welcome welcome!! Sp glad to meet you!

• Jadeen
    Jadeen

Welcome to the board!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit