Just a short observation on my Bible study.

by outlander 20 Replies latest jw experiences

• moshe
    moshe
    showing that he might possibly be wrong, and if I pushed the issue and challenged him in any way he just went batshit. It was as if his brain had been short circuited or something.

I would love to see that play out on a Youtube video. JW's can't process stuff like that. He probably has a cash business, so he pays minimal $$ in SS taxes. When he retires he will be lucky to get $400 month in SS checks. Looks like he will be a handyman for as long as he is able to stand up. Caesar have to will provide for him, not the WT org. I wonder how long I could fake a study with JW's?

• sweet
    sweet

outlander,

if you really want a witness to study with you through the bible ONLY no watchtowers or witness books call your local kingdom hall and ask for a witness who is experienced in that...i've known someone personally who is a witness now and he started out with an actual BIBLE STUDY with no watchtowers or witness books JUST the Bible....he went to the local hall left a note and said that he wants to be contacted...an elder studied with him through ONLY THE BIBLE, and nothing else...there are witnesses out there that are experienced in bible studies in ONLY THE BIBLE and nothing else. ..

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

What is the point of simply studying the Bible with the guy if you have established to your own satisfaction that his religion is not correct? Unless of course you know more about it than he does and are looking to prove him wrong and yourself right? I am a bit unclear about your motive, what is it? Are you a 'believer' of some description?

Personally, if it is purely an academic interest I'd find something else to fill my time rather than debating such a ridiculous collection of writings.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

He's gay.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

What is the point of simply studying the Bible with the guy if you have established to your own satisfaction that his religion is not correct? Unless of course you know more about it than he does and are looking to prove him wrong and yourself right?

It isn't about proving Dubs wrong; that's easy. It is about getting them to realize that they're wrong. Outlander is in a life-saving work

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

I've done this same thing twice. This first time, I waited for the Holy Spirit to show up or something. It didn't happen. So I asked all the questions I ever wanted to ask in a nice respectful way. (they never knew I was an xjw.) They come over week after week, If I had a hard question, they would say, you'll understand later, or we'll get to that point later in the study.

Then..I showed them the UN stuff, printed off from the UN website, and they dropped it like it was hot. Never came back.

Several years later, a second set of sister's came by. I asked about the other sister. They said that she no longer went to the meetings, but they didn't know why. I don't either, but I wonder.

The second set of sisters came for a few months. Some one on here JWN posted an Awake magazine article and how it quoted an outside source indicating it said something that it did not say. I had that same Awake magazine and I looked up the quoted material and printed it out to show my study. She took both the printed material and the Awake back. Said she would look into it. She never came back.

Since then, on only a couple occasions we've found stuff/mags stuck in the door. It's always weird that I'm usually here and I didn't hear a knock or the door bell. Maybe they're PDK. or my house has been marked.

lisa

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

Outlander

What a great idea, glad you had a bit of fun, sad that so many of them will never leave the 'false', even after they are shown conclusive proof that it's a load of crap.

• Open mind
    Open mind

Great post Outlander! Thanks for sharing it.

moshe:

I wonder how long I could fake a study with JW's?

A "New York Watchtower Minute"? If you bit your tongue?

om

• outlander
    outlander

GromitSK, To answer your question. Part of my reason for the study was to keep peace in the family, but during the months of the study I also educated myself about the correctness of the teachings. I had done this once before in my life when I was 17 yrs old and my mother became a J.W. and wanted everyone else in the family to join also. My two sisters joined, one is still in, so is her husband, my other sister faded, then rejoined about 8 months ago, my father never joined. Anyway, I'm now 60 and had forgotten a lot of things regarding the J.W.'s in the time between. Things have changed also. From what I 've read here the Organization has become a lot more controlling, plus there have been some doctrine changes over the last 43 yrs. It was a learning experience all over again. After a while I just couldn't keep up the facade of the study and it became a battle of wills. I wanted to see if I could get through this persons brain washing by providing simple facts. I couldn't, so i ended the study. As for why study just the bible with the same person. Why not? It doesn't hurt to keep a bit of spirtuality in your life, as long as common sense is included in regards to what your reading.

Wasanelder Once, To answer your remark. Most of the people on this site appear to be an intelligent and thoughtful bunch. Thats one of the things I like about this Forum. I guess you must be here to provide comic relief. Sort of like Huntz Hall in the old Bowery Boys movies. Rock On Guy!

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

Thanks Outlander - fair comment

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit