Coffee Drinkers...... Why do you drink coffee?

by yknot 75 Replies latest jw friends

• daniel-p
    daniel-p
    It doesn't give me the jitters either like drip coffee, I hear there is less caffeine in espresso

Darker roast coffee (as a rule) have less caffiene than the lighter or less roasted coffee.

http://www.coffeedetective.com/how-much-caffeine-in-coffee.html

Darker roasts do have less caffeine, but espresso doesn't have anything to do with which roast it is; it has to do with being more concentrated. By volume, espresso has more caffeine than regular coffee.

Back to the topic: I like coffee for two reasons: I love the smell and flavor, and it offers a very harmless and even beneficial daily stimulant. Coffee got a bad rap back in (I think) the 70s or 80s when there was some dumb study that correlated coffee consumption with cancer. The study was later retracted (it wasn't done right) and numerous subsequent studies have shown that it can have many health benefits. But ever since then, people view coffee as a guilty pleasure, when in reality, it is simply awesome, being both an awesome beverage and an awesome drug with few harmfull effects besides jitteriness and slightly stained teeth. For me, I limit my coffee intake to one cup a day. More than that and I get too nervous-so one cup is my sweet spot, although I usually have two on the weekends.

• MsDucky
    MsDucky
    Darker roasts do have less caffeine, but espresso doesn't have anything to do with which roast it is; it has to do with being more concentrated. By volume, espresso has more caffeine than regular coffee.

I, also, depends on what kind of bean you're using. It (the espresso) may have the same concentration as a "regular" cup of Folger's.

• dissed
    dissed

Palmtree - "I like it so much, sometimes I grow it on my farm."

Are you sure you're not confusing the coffee subject with something else? Like maybe tea...

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

I love it so much. I drink it in the morning and the afternoon. I usually have some when I get off work. Also, most weekend mornings I call crapola and drink coffee while we gossip about the family and all the monkeys on this board.

• dissed
    dissed

Whynot - You maybe in the minority....but we still like you.

Its the quality of the coffee making process that works for many here. It should taste like the aroma it produces.

Freshly roasted beans, freshly grounded for each cup, at the right consistency, brewed quickly with water over 200 degrees, can make for one very nice cup, meant to sip, saver, and enjoy. In fact proper coffee can lead to wholesome meditated feelings of warmth and satisfaction.

Coffee Black - My wife is Swedish as well, and taught me the Swed's tradition of strong yet smooth and rich dark coffee.

• beksbks
    beksbks

One cup every morning. I think it's more the ritual than the coffee. Although there is something sensual about the smell of coffee. Apparently there is a chemical that is in coffee, chocolate, and peanuts whose scent signals wellbeing.

• yknot
    yknot

Thank you all for your insight!

Once the 'buzz' wore off I had a horrible headache .......

It was such a long day!!!!

..... I should be tired, but I napped through the CBS and TMS........

• noni1974
    noni1974

I hate coffee, I hate the taste, and I hate the smell. I do like the kick I get when I drink it though. Every once in a while I'll have a cup. I have to put a lot of cream and sugar in it to drink it. I can't drink it too often, because it gives me cramps in my legs at night, Diet Coke does the same thing to me so I don't drink that either. I drink a lot of water because I get dehydrated easily. If I want a drink with caffeine I usually get a Diet Pepsi.

The only time you will catch me drinking coffee is if I'm really tired and I need a energy boost or I'm hung over and need to wake up.

• chickpea
    chickpea

i was 4 years old when the great aunties who
    lived down the block from my grandmother, their
    sister, gave me my first cup of what they called
    "coffee-milk"....

for 50 years, i have been drinking coffee in
    one form or another .... still intoxicated by
    the smell, still thrilled by that first sip in the
    morning....

it is adaptive for me... a pick-up in the morning
    and early afternoon, but i could drink a cup at
    night sitting in bed reading and still fall asleep
    with the book in my hand....

I Haven't Had My Coffee Yet

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

> Coffee Drinkers...... Why do you drink coffee?

Because all of the cool kids do it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit